Long time listener...kind of

Cut ‘Em

Jan 6, 2021
Temecula
Hey guys. I have been looking for a solid forum for about 18 months (when I first got stationed in SoCal). After many attempts, a couple of months ago I stumbled across SCH. GREAT group of hunters! Glad to be allowed to hang out here. Thanks.
Now to business... I have two questions for you all.
1) Like I said, I got here 18 months ago. I didn’t have a lot of time to scout the first year before duck season, so 2019 and 2020 were basically devoted to Camp Pendleton hunting, with which I have been relatively successful (I’ll put some pics for eye candy below). I’m from GA, so smoking limits is the norm. I’m learning that is NOT the norm here, but you certainly can’t get the mixed bag in GA that you can here, so “relatively” is, by definition, a relative term. I’ve been pleased with the multi-species hunts. I just found out that there is an active duty preference hunt Feb 13/14. After reading a lot here, I am putting in for Wister and San J. So the question is: if I make room in the blind for one of you, will you share some knowledge for one of those locations with me? (Again, never been there). I plan on using this as a scouting expedition for next year, but I would love to get on some ducks as well (obviously). Any info would help. (Do I need the boat, divers or dabblers, camo, calls, etc
2) I am planning a Merriam hunt in the Gila National Forest. Does anyone have any experience in NM to help me whittle down MAJOR areas?
Again, thanks for any help and letting me hang out here. I look forward to reading and posting successes and failures.

Welcome to the forum. I have limited out the past three years at San Jacinto on the youth hunt which is held the week before this veteran hunt, I might be able to help depending on my work and school schedule. You don’t use boats at Wister or San Jacinto. Theres dabblers and divers at both of them. I wouldn’t bother with a call, they’ve already heard mallard calls all season. Plus, not very many mallards are shot at either place. I hunted over 18 decoys at all three youth hunts, but two dozen would be good as well. Your average duck camo is fine for both places. For decoys, Gadwalls and shovelers are the most common big ducks. Pintail decoys are a good idea too. Teal aren’t picky about decoys.

Reactions: Cut ‘Em
Welcome to the forum. I have limited out the past three years at San Jacinto on the youth hunt which is held the week before this veteran hunt, I might be able to help depending on my work and school schedule. You don’t use boats at Wister or San Jacinto. Theres dabblers and divers at both of them. I wouldn’t bother with a call, they’ve already heard mallard calls all season. Plus, not very many mallards are shot at either place. I hunted over 18 decoys at all three youth hunts, but two dozen would be good as well. Your average duck camo is fine for both places. For decoys, Gadwalls and shovelers are the most common big ducks. Pintail decoys are a good idea too. Teal aren’t picky about decoys.
Great intel. Thank you. If I get drawn, you have a spot.

Reactions: Hunter527
welcome to the site @Cut ‘Em

out here we do not get as many of the green heads but we got our Hollywood mallards :) aka bootlips aka turdslurper aka north american shoveler.
its no different out here then i am sure it was back home. if you do your work limits can be had. Its not easy and takes time. the refuges are well refuges and your first time at wister will be a interesting time. If you are motivated enough to drive to NM for turkey you have the drive to hunt the OTHER duck places. there are a lot of public land opportunities but they time time and effort to learn. The base has always been a lil soft on bird numbers

welcome to the site @Cut ‘Em

out here we do not get as many of the green heads but we got our Hollywood mallards :) aka bootlips aka turdslurper aka north american shoveler.
its no different out here then i am sure it was back home. if you do your work limits can be had. Its not easy and takes time. the refuges are well refuges and your first time at wister will be a interesting time. If you are motivated enough to drive to NM for turkey you have the drive to hunt the OTHER duck places. there are a lot of public land opportunities but they time time and effort to learn. The base has always been a lil soft on bird numbers
I’m certainly willing to move around to find success.

Cut 'em,

Welcome to SCH...I think I may be able to help you on both fronts...I've hunted both San J and Wister for many years...I've also hunted the Gila NF a number of times for Merriams and have a old friend that lives in it...Big country and turkeys that roam far & wide...Love NM...A little eye candy for you...lol

.IMG_7546.JPG035.JPGIMG_1095.JPG

Reactions: ilovesprig
First:

thank you for our Fredom! God bless the United States Marines!

second: Yes... talk to Ilovesprig . Best intel you’ll ever get. Great guy too!

I want to thank everyone for the help and reiterate that this group of guys is special in the way that you legitimately give a crap about the hunt AND other hunters. Thanks again!

Marshal,

It was a pleasure talking to you last night...Hope I narrowed that Gila down a little...It's big country, but can be had...This is public... ;)

.049.JPG

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu