Looking for Band-tailed pigeons in San Diego area and surroundings, any suggestions?

emmdiplas

Dec 24, 2019
Hello guys and Merry Christmas!
I am a new hunter (since Saturday...lol...) and I am quite lost as to where I can hunt something, this next few days, the band-tailed pigeon.
I read a lot about the bird, its migration, where it nests, what it feeds on, etc., and the statement that there are many of them in the San Diego forested areas.
Good deal. Where is that exactly? :)
Not looking for your sweet/secret spots, but since each one of us can only get "2" a day, with flocks of 100+ sometimes, I believe it would be OK to point me to 1-2 spots where I can go and have a good time firing my shotgun at some, even if I do not get any.
I spent all afternoon today around Julian, walking on a mountain trail and a steep canyon on my left burning calories and somewhat felt unsafe and lonely. No trees around, not a living creature.
A total disappointment.
Thanks again, and if you go out tomorrow and the days ahead, good hunting and be SAFE!
Merry Christmas!

e,

Welcome to SCH...Since it's only "Band-tails" (lol), you can start at Fry Creek on Palomar Mt...This spot is certainly not a secret spot, but historically is one of the better areas for mountain pigeons...Unfortunately. this year there were very few birds...We got ours on MCC property just down the street.

.004.JPG

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu