Looking for Examples on Video of folks who use Mouth Calls very successfully.

TheGDog

Nov 28, 2018
XX
I'd just like to hear the differences in how they are doing it. To get a better feel for how much extra oomph is really needed when you're trying to add excitement and urgency to the sound of the calling. And want to hear example of how they make the animal sound like it's trailing-off at the end when they are done.

And perhaps if somebody knows a good video where it shows more about how the hunters are taking the wind into factor when choosing their sit. Such as relative to the motion decoy.

I've consumed a TON of Video content related to this field. Yeah, the Randy Anderson / PRIMOS stuff was all a good source. But in the editing they don't ever show an entire calling sequence, since that would be boring to watch. And they might discuss the different kinds of sound techniques... but less talk is given about why they might choose to go that route on this particular sit.

Kinda looking for one where the person also breaks it down and gives the play-by-play voice-over commentary of what they are doing now at this particular point and why they chose to do it that way. What the game-plan or thought was. That sorta thing.

And I have found *some* vids that were good in this regard. Just curious if others have come across ones I haven't found yet.

It's not rocket science... There is no exact sequence that works or doesn't. I've called in well over a thousand coyotes with a hand call and no two were the same. Time in the field calling will benefit you much more than watching Youtube videos. Ed F

I use a cheap E-caller, it works best on young dumb coyotes. I could probably benefit from a downloadable caller for more variety. Mouth calls are more fun but it puts the focus on your position (I always carry one just in case). I set my E-caller at a low point crosswind away from me and sit up hill below the skyline, I like to sit cross wind from the caller cuz yotes like to sneak around down wind. Camo is not nearly as important as sitting still with a bush behind me to break up the silhouette. (Last week calling turkey, a coyote came to 18 inches of my boot until it winded me. They don't even bother to look up, the nose is all they need).
Good luck, get um.

It's not rocket science... There is no exact sequence that works or doesn't. I've called in well over a thousand coyotes with a hand call and no two were the same. Time in the field calling will benefit you much more than watching Youtube videos. Ed F
100% what Ed says..get out and hunt..no better learning tool..ive seen the rock..and its a bloody mess..

Reactions: longbowhunter2

Indeed! ... it's just that since my availability to get out there is limited... the thought is I'd hate to be doing anything that hurts my own efforts, ya know?

Certainly makes sense to get the most amount of educational input as you can so you can gauge whether or not you're on the right track in terms of the way you're going about it.

Would it be safe to say you're doing something right if you'd got a ton of Vultures swirling overhead trying to figure out where the heck that sound is coming from?

Larry don't over think it brother.
You do have a valid point.
Best bet hook with an other seasoned dog hunter.
The way I do it if I call a dog in ..
I must be doing something right.
Sometimes they just aren't around..

Larry don't over think it brother.
You do have a valid point.
Best bet hook with an other seasoned dog hunter.
The way I do it if I call a dog in ..
I must be doing something right.
Sometimes they just aren't around..

RE: Best bet hook with another seasoned dog hunter.

I gotta be realistic man. I'm about as isolated as a human being can be from his fellow man... yet at the same time living among them. It just is what it is. I'm a comedic and personable fellow in person. I just don't have that thing that makes people go out of their way to befriend and cultivate new friendships. Also my situation makes me severely trapped within my own home. Like in that Brother Ali rhyme - "Built you a big pretty prison to sit in. Strut around here convinced that that's livin'"

I've been working from home since 2001. And since 2007 there's now been a young kid in the picture. I'm now in the 50+ crowd. And I'm in computers. Let's get real... ain't gon' be nobody in my damn age range that I'd likely be crossing paths with that's going to be into hunting. Just is what it is. So it ain't happenin' unless *I* make it happen solo. And I'm ok with that. But in the interest of not wasting precious time I don't have.. that's why I bother to ask fairly detailed questions. I've got to make up for lots of lost time in terms of experience I don't have. But... I have a talent for figuring out complex things with no help from anyone. So I'm not sweating it. I know it'll come. Just a question of when. So... just trying to make sure I'm doing my best as wrapping my head around initial understanding of the the problem and techniques for solving it.

And in regards to the coyote thing. It's the only animal I've ever shot where I didn't recover the one that I have shot. Even though initially the shot floored him and put him down for several seconds. That experience of not recovering him didn't set well with me. And I want to correct it. It's a compulsion at this point. This is my Moby Dick. I've got to make up for that non-recovery. I've got to make it right.

I am a humble guy. I don't claim to be all knowing but this is my thoughts......
Key word camaraderie ..
Having a good time hanging with friends. With the same interests and hobbies such as camping and Hunting.....
Life long friendship . Built on
Long term relationship..
Priceless brother..

I have only called in other hunters, at least they thought it sounded right.

Try the speakers for yotes, just don't over call. I was hunting a few weeks ago and there were some guys hunting coyote nearby. That speaker they were using was crying loud for an hour non stop.

RE: Duration -
From all the questions I asked on mutliple forums, seemed like the general consensus was call for in the neighborhood of :30 to 1:30 (depending on what type of animal you were trying to emulate, the idea being baby Rabbits and Rodents run out of air faster since their lungs are small) then pause for like 2:00 - 3:00. Then after 2 or 3 repetitions of that... pause like 3:00 - 5:00 in between for 2 or 3 more times. Then time to pack it up and move on along to another location.

I just had to send in my eCaller for warranty repair. So who knows how long I'll be without one now. (Johnny Stewart Grim Speaker GS2)

The screws which affix the rotating handle to the unit... the nut for one of those screws, which is contained inside the unit... apparently backed itself all the way off, and was rattling around inside the unit. The unit doesn't have a way to unscrew it open. Looks like it's two pieces press-fit to SnapLoc into each other.

Thinking I might try in D11 again next time I get to go out. Seems too thick right now in the D15 areas I've been going to. There are these flowering vines which have grown all thru all the Tall Grass/Foxtails right now. Some places are even like chest-high! Realistically, all the weekends thru May are screwed though. With Boyscouts events and Mother's day and Memorial Day.

RE: Duration -
From all the questions I asked on mutliple forums, seemed like the general consensus was call for in the neighborhood of :30 to 1:30 (depending on what type of animal you were trying to emulate, the idea being baby Rabbits and Rodents run out of air faster since their lungs are small) then pause for like 2:00 - 3:00. Then after 2 or 3 repetitions of that... pause like 3:00 - 5:00 in between for 2 or 3 more times. Then time to pack it up and move on along to another location.

I just had to send in my eCaller for warranty repair. So who knows how long I'll be without one now. (Johnny Stewart Grim Speaker GS2)

The screws which affix the rotating handle to the unit... the nut for one of those screws, which is contained inside the unit... apparently backed itself all the way off, and was rattling around inside the unit. The unit doesn't have a way to unscrew it open. Looks like it's two pieces press-fit to SnapLoc into each other.

Thinking I might try in D11 again next time I get to go out. Seems too thick right now in the D15 areas I've been going to. There are these flowering vines which have grown all thru all the Tall Grass/Foxtails right now. Some places are even like chest-high! Realistically, all the weekends thru May are screwed though. With Boyscouts events and Mother's day and Memorial Day.
what happened to ur GS2?
i got water in my controller and Johnny Stewart sent me another no questioned asked. good company.

what happened to ur GS2?
i got water in my controller and Johnny Stewart sent me another no questioned asked. good company.

A nut fell off inside and is rattling around. (I literally said that on the next line down man!)

Yeah, thankfully I'm still within warranty period.

Well, RE: sounds available... I have a bunch of recordings I transferred from old 45rpm records that were part of a Varmint Calling system. You can hold onto "on offsite backup" copy for me ;) The one of the "Dying Crow" can literally make the sky go dark with Crows! And they'll even swoop down at ya all pissed off! And the "Domestic Rabbit" one I'd swear it sounds little a little girl screaming in bloody terror. These recordings are with old tech, so not the best audio resolution/clarity. But they're not bad though.

Also... as an example... with Audio Recording/Mastering software (I happen to use SOUND FORGE) you can record content streamed to you, such as from YouTube. Then chop-out the audio parts you wish to retain. Pump up the volume, apply some compression and so forth. I did a little of that with some of the vids from MFK calls and other sources.

And one of these days... if I get lucky... I'd like to try to record my "Lil' One" ( 5>Lbs Chihuahua) territorially barking at something in our backyard and use that out in the field! I feel certain that would drive the predators nuts!

I've also read that some people have used... successfully... as morbid as this sounds... the sound of a Human baby crying on a caller.

You would just have to make sure you're using a device that is OK with standard non-proprietary types of files such as MP3's. That Johnny Stewart GS2 I bought is cool like that, you can load in your own MP3's!

Most of the devices out there, for whatever reason, they have their own proprietary file formats and they're tight-lipped on the filespec, so there are no converters available for them since they serve such a narrow niche community of people.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
AH Larry you stated your 50+, you'll find there are a lot more hunters out there in that age group then you think, I for one am 21 with 48 years of life exp. I have a couple of friends I hunt with that are 78 & 79 .Hence your not an old person in the world of hunting.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu