Looking for general areas to hunt

Nickrp

Dec 26, 2012
Hey I am looking to do a quick rabbit hunt this sat morning but honestly I don't know where to go, I am located in north Orange County and I am thinking of heading up to angeles national Forrest but was wondering if there is anywhere a little closer I can legally hunt the little guys. Not looking for someone's honey holes obviously just general areas if anyone is willing to share. Looking to go out with either shotgun or bow. Any help would be appreciated. Again let me reinforce I am not looking for 'your spot' but rather terrain advice and general areas near oc if you're willing to share.

Nick,

Understand, if anyone has a public spot near the OC, it's a honey hole......Like a lot of new hunters on this site, you're just going to have to get used to driving......Your best bets will be in the more rural areas of San Berdo, Riverside, and Imperial Counties......Good luck

ps......I'm sure somewhere in the Angeles NF there's cottontails, but that's not the best habitat. Farmland, sage, and grasses are more to their liking.

ilovesprig said:
Nick,

Understand, if anyone has a public spot near the OC, it's a honey hole......Like a lot of new hunters on this site, you're just going to have to get used to driving......Your best bets will be in the more rural areas of San Berdo, Riverside, and Imperial Counties......Good luck

ps......I'm sure somewhere in the Angeles NF there's cottontails, but that's not the best habitat. Farmland, sage, and grasses are more to their liking.

Hey thanks that's exactly what I was looking for. I don't mind driving and I didn't think there would be any pub land in oc. But the above answers what I was looking for. Thanks!!

Nick,
Shrubby areas around a water source are good habitat. When you head out east, check your topo maps, google earth or your hunting apps for active rivers, creeks and canals.
Drive dirt roads in open country and look for stands of sage, briars or wild roses. Look around the edges for openings leading into the thickets, and if there are grasses nearby that are mowed short, there are rabbits there. They will emerge as the shadows lengthen but while the sun is still up. You won't find them out in the open like you will ground squirrels, but you may find them nearby. Hope that helps.

Bonejour said:
Nick,
Shrubby areas around a water source are good habitat. When you head out east, check your topo maps, google earth or your hunting apps for active rivers, creeks and canals.
Drive dirt roads in open country and look for stands of sage, briars or wild roses. Look around the edges for openings leading into the thickets, and if there are grasses nearby that are mowed short, there are rabbits there. They will emerge as the shadows lengthen but while the sun is still up. You won't find them out in the open like you will ground squirrels, but you may find them nearby. Hope that helps.
yep good advice. also hunt early morning or late after noon. mostly. lower elevations. washes. with lots of wild grass.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu