Looking to possibly mount three CA quail

SluiceCoot

Oct 25, 2014
Rancho
I shot three quail last season. So they've been in the freezer for over a year now. They are in freezer bags and still look like they are in great shape.

I got a few quotes a year ago to have them mounted and the cheapest I could find was $450. I thought this was outrageous. If that's the going rate, so be it, they will be used to play with my dog or get fed to a buddy's snake.

I was wondering if anybody knew of a reputable taxidermy guy who would be cheaper.

one of the site sponsors might be able to take care of you... his banner ad is on here
http://artisancreationstaxidermy.com
check with him, his price list does not have quail on it but his rates are much less

Quail are very delicate and difficult to work with. That's why is so expensive. And for three birds that about the price I would charge and everyone else would be in that price range.

I'm no help but I'd like to see the finished product, quail are some of my favorite birds. Down the street from me is Lyons & O'Haver, I don't know much about em but I'm sure someone on here has given em business before.

SurfNHuntSD said:
I'm no help but I'd like to see the finished product, quail are some of my favorite birds. Down the street from me is Lyons & O'Haver, I don't know much about em but I'm sure someone on here has given em business before.

Lyon's is good, but really pricey.........Here's a couple of more guys I recommend that work out of their homes......May cost a little less......Also ask about turn around time.

Mike Berry (Pine Valley).......619-473-8312

Barry Martin (Santee).........619-379-3149

I'll do em for $50.. It may just look like a pile feathers when you get them back... But I call it art

TaftHunter said:
I'll do em for $50.. It may just look like a pile feathers when you get them back... But I call it art

It is all in the eye of the beholder - right Garett? ;)

Lungpopper said:
TaftHunter said:

Garrett you are funny dude. I hope he lets you do them. I want to see the finished product.

Love Google image search. Lmao

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423171470.997826.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423171470.997826.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 172
Lol! :D Now if I paid hundreds of dollars for this, I would throw down!

I shot 3 mature male Mtn quail last year that I had mounted buy Igor's taxidermy
I think I paid 650.00

He did an awesome job and gave me a very realistic habitat

they were worth every penny

You could get a good piece of wood that can hold 3, then mount the best of the 3.......Then add another quail as you can afford.......I have a Mt, Valley, & desert done at my parents.......Great looking mount......Doing them individually shouldn't cost much more than 3 at a time.

ilovesprig said:
You could get a good piece of wood that can hold 3, then mount the best of the 3.......Then add another quail as you can afford.......I have a Mt, Valley, & desert done at my parents.......Great looking mount......Doing them individually shouldn't cost much more than 3 at a time.

It would be cool to have a chukar mixed in with that bunch

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu