Mallards and mountains

SteveHazard

Oct 24, 2018
Well with the rain we got last week there is finally some water in some unusual spots and I'm taking advantage of it.
I'm off to hike down into a creek spot I've had my eye on since last year. And as I'm getting ready I see a couple of mountain quail. They are on the side of a cliff. I could die trying, but I think I can get one. About 50 yards down the hill the one flushes and I pop it. Lucky it landed where I am able to recover it and not down the cliffside. Not a bad start, got my favorite quail.

After hiking farther than I'd of liked I'm down to my spot. Water is higher than I expected but I don't think it'll be deep enough I can't recover anything.
I can see greenheads and wigeons swimming on the far side out of range. Well I guess I'll have to sit in the hide and hope something flies or swims over. About 30 mins and a drake and hen mallard start making their way toward me. When they get in range I give em my best "Surprise MF!" and they... swim away. Really? Well screw it they're mallards and I'm not about to let they swim away from me. Like Steve says "Swim like rabbit, shoot like rabbit." well not quite but hey they ain't getting away. I water swat the drake and the hen dives. When she pops up I smack her too. They both are moving some and I don't want them to dive so I hit them each once again. The wigeon on the far side take off, a drake passes me on my side but is just a bit out of range. I wanted him too but I'll be damned I got two mallards and a mountain quail in the same hunt. Not something I'd ever considered would ever happen but it did and I'll take this hunt any day.

20211217_112226.jpg20211217_112202.jpg20211217_121124.jpg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu