Mamma Piggy Down

Cgruwell05

Oct 11, 2014
Escondido
Got the call from a good friend on Thursday asking if I was up for a pig hunt on Saturday (today) and again I couldn't turn it down. Sunrise started slow with nothing seen at the "old faithful" spot, so we decided to look elsewhere. Checking out different locations wasn't looking promising and the sun was getting high and temps were up. We decided to find a high spot and glass over the surrounding valleys figuring they were probably bedded down for the day and hoping to find that lone feeder. Not more the 5 minutes after, my buddy thinks he sees some movement. We both glass the area and sure enough we identify 7 hogs, 2 being piglets. The only problem was they were all of a mile out on another ridge and we needed to relocate to have a chance. After dropping a pin on the phone at where we thought they were, we drive over near the location and begin hiking down the ridge. After looking around for about 30 minutes, we aren't able to find them. As we begin to walk back up the ridge to the truck, we decide to check out the next ridge over to see if they had moved a bit. As we moved in, we noticed fresh scat and my buddy remembers seeing a tree that they were very close to when we saw them through the binos. We get over a small hump and there she was with her 2 piglets, not more than 100 yards away. We knew that the other 4 were in the area also, but figured it'd be best to focus on her and she was the only one we could see. To get a clear shot we had to sneak a bit closer to her until the crosshairs lined up at 70 yards. The 22-250, 53g Barnes Bullet did the rest of the work. We weren't able to follow up on her little piggies as they will live for another day. Gutted, skinned, and on the road home at 2pm.

Attachments

• image1-1.jpg
    image1-1.jpg
    459.2 KB · Views: 44
Chad,

what all did you make with her?

I have a bunch of stuff that In my freezer if you want to try something new.

I made pepperoni sticks, salami, smoked andouille, chorizo, breakfast sausage, italian sausage, and Jalapeño cheddar brats.

3 pigs in 3 trips made for a very full freezer....

I need to make room for a bunch of Bluefin that I have at the processor and Im going on another 1.5 day on Sunday.... and the yellows have been chewing, I just smoked the last 5 that I got saturday along with some cutthroat that my buddy brought me.

Steve,
you are welcome to any of the above as well, I still owe you for the intel you gave me last year for Wister.

Im heading down to Fishermans landing on Sunday if either of you want anything, or you can meet me Tuesday when I get in and grab some fresh fish?

shoot me an email, [email protected] and let me know

P.S. the chorizo is freaking amazing....

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu