marking birds

Tanner

May 10, 2012
My lab is in his first season and doing really well. He retrieves birds well but tends to stray onthe way to the bird. I would like to work on marking so I'm looking for advice. He's a very smart dog with a beginner trainer.

He's having fun at your expense and doing what he wants to do instead of what you are commanding him, retrieving game in the field is a job not a game, most dogs when trained properly and at the right age develop a strong desire to do it because of the positive feed back we supply when they do as we ask. If your pooch isn't doing as you say I would get back to the basics and make sure you are getting what you ask for with each command. If they cant do it when its training time they most likely wont do it when the guns are going off. Training and discipline in the first two years of gun dogs life shape what it will be in the end.

E-collars in the hands of an untrained user is like handing a razor blade to a monkey, it can cause more harm than good. They are a big part of how we train, they are not for everything but do serve a useful role. We use them for the come command and heeling, to stop a creeping pointer and other behaviors we see in individual dogs that we are trying to modify. It is important to understand that a dog must be trained to understand what you are asking from them when you use one. The training process should be a combination of voice commands over layed with use of the collar. If you haven't used one before it would be a very good idea to read up on how they are used ( there are several good books out on it) or take lesson from a professional trainer (we can help with that)

Take Em' said:
Thanks for the advice and are shock collars worth the investment
I use e collars some times. Saying that I didn't for 2 years and glad I didn't. I would have probly wrecked my dog. I read a lot and had to learn to trust my dog befor I put one on him.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu