Meat care

SDhunter05

Nov 2, 2016
After kill what's everyone's routine?
Hoe do yall care for your meat and what're your temperature ranges.

I tell the Indian guide Eldon, hurry get that elk boned out and in ice chest covered in ice. then grab an adult beverage and fire up a cigar. I mean I pulled the trigger and dropped her, you don't expect me to touch her to do you.

get it skinned as soon as you can to cool it down.
if you're packing out, quarter out or de-bone then into game bags.
get on ice.
if you have a short drag, gut it and put blocks or bagged ice in cavity for ride home
Once its home, I hang in fridge two week then break it down. Roast, steaks, grind and will cube neck meat for stews .
DON'T FORGET THE HEART!!

I carry a base Kamp tarp. Quarter and take any other meat I can. I put the tarp in the shade and place meat on the tarp to cool while quartering. Then I put it in game bags and hang it in the shade to cool. Once meat is no longer hot I pack it in my pack and carry it out unless I'm staying in the mountains over night then I leave it hanging. I keep frozen water bottles in a ice chest. They are smaller than gallons. I will line the bottom of the ice chest then lay meat in layering with more frozen water bottles. This cools both sides of the meat and let's a little air through.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu