Mexican Authorities ban the take of bluefin tuna

Matagi

Mar 1, 2011
Just read on FB on Ed Zieralski's page that Mexican authorities imposed a no take on bluefin tuna out of Mexican waters. Anyone have any solid info on this?

It's posted all over the web. Some people are hoping it only applies to commercial fishing, but the notice says all bluefin capture is banned.

That's a major bummer.

Full ban on bluefin in mx. It's official and very odd. Feel bad for the multi day guys leaving sd.

Wonder what happens the first people who get caught not listening to this. That Gunboat is fast I have seen it

I was at Fisherman's Landing this morning.........They announced that Bluefin were not to be kept........As the boats came, it sure looked like Bluefin to me (also YF & YT)........ ???

Attachments

• IMG_8164.JPG
    IMG_8164.JPG
    435.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8168.JPG
    IMG_8168.JPG
    457.8 KB · Views: 13
ilovesprig said:
I was at Fisherman's Landing this morning.........They announced that Bluefin were not to be kept........As the boats came, it sure looked like Bluefin to me (also YF & YT)........ ???

They just announced it yesterday, so I guess those are the last ones.

Snake Charmer said:
young fish for sure in the photo, love to eat bluefin but if the mexico ban on take is directed towards species recovery I'm all for it.
I seriously doubt it's a step towards recovery seems like the authorities in Mexico always have a hidden agenda

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Snake Charmer said:
young fish for sure in the photo, love to eat bluefin but if the mexico ban on take is directed towards species recovery I'm all for it.

I'm all for conservation. Hard to say what motivates this move, some of the articles I've read mentioned a recent conference where tuna populations were reported low.

I can say, I was fishing down there 2 weeks ago. The commercial guys were hitting it hard. I saw several seine operations in action and at least half a dozen tug boats dragging pens back up the islands.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu