Micro Trash Kills!...(or does it) . Thought it was Evil Ammo All This Time.

fish dog

Apr 28, 2015
Johnson City, TN
You all probably remember what the "official" excuse is for us having to use unleaded ammo throughout the state...right? Yup, those wonderful condors. Considering that I happened to find a picture someone hiking in the Fillmore area had posted showing a sign warning people that "Micro Trash" kills condors. And here, all this time they've been telling us our evil lead bullets were the culprits. I've been telling people about this "Micro Trash" for years. I've seen it posted on various websites years ago, but the those seemed to mysteriously disappear when it was pointed out that "Micro Trash" was the real cause instead of bullets. Now, here again, is evidence that they know the real cause. Posted for what it's worth.

micro-trash-sign.jpg

Reactions: Muledeerhunter
What exactly is micro trash? And if it’s microscopic, so I can’t see it, how can I prevent it? How about just Don’t Litter?

To my knowledge there has never been any scientific proof that lead bullets have poisoned condors.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Micro trash is not actually "micro" it's stuff like bottle caps, bits of foil, AAA and AA batteries, paint chips (last two are good examples of where the lead they get actually comes from), broken glass, pull tabs, stuff like that.

Reactions: WaterDawg
Number 1 in their stomachs (you do know that they are closely monitored and they have their stomachs pumped monthly)…..Lead wheel weights.....Not hunters bullets.....This just another ploy/precedent to stop all hunting.

Number 1 in their stomachs (you do know that they are closely monitored and they have their stomachs pumped monthly)…..Lead wheel weights.....Not hunters bullets.....This just another ploy/precedent to stop all hunting.
Steve, for a bird that usually eats smelly, dead flesh, what makes a condor eat lead wheel weights? Do the researchers have any ideas?

Kevin,

For whatever reason, they like shiny objects.....Why I don't know.....This again is why this lead ban was/is such a BS thing.....Can you imagine the odds that a condor would get a piece of lead from a gut pile?

I field dressed some rabbits the other day after shooting them with a .22. All had exit wounds. Any condor or other critter who ate the gut pile had a lead free, high protein lunch. Not sure about gluten and MSG.

Reactions: Mattydoesntknow
Feeding and monthly 'welfare' checks. Hooray for wild condors. Too bad DFW can't say 'extinct'.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu