Montana/Canada 2016

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Left Sunday morning at 5:00 am.....Arrived in Cascade, Montana 19 hours later.....Rained from the time I hit the Idaho border and rained for 2 days here.....1st thing I did Monday was go to Montana Fish & Wildlife office in Helena to get my Combo elk & deer tags.....Not!.....When I looked a month ago there were 10,000 tags still left. August 8th, they went on sale OTC.....Sold Out!.....In fact, with the exception of a couple of antlerless tags left, there isn't squat, even hunting with my bow.....Oh well, bought a upland & waterfowl license.

Today was the 1st sunny day and my cousin Ronnie had got permission to hunt a prairie dog colony.....Dang things aren't like our ground squirrels. Not only are they smarter, but they're larger, and can take a hit from a .17 HMR no problem (John, I need a 22.250.....lol).....Finally made some head shots and recovered a few.....While looking for one, I hear the familiar sound of San Diego.....Buzzzzz.....My 1st prairie rattler.....He dead!.....Also, while driving around the colonies, I find a buck antelope deadhead (lots of these things around & Ronnie drew a tag).

While driving around I've seen tons of deer, including a number of bucks on my cousins prop (where's my bow tag!....lol).....Today heading back, we came upon a bunch of bighorns.....Very cool.

Now that I screwed up my BG hunts, we're heading for Canada earlier.....We'll be there Friday.....Almost no internet here, but hopefully more up there.....Updates as they come in......:blush:
.043.JPG 053.JPG 038.JPG 125.JPG 008.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: PyroTekRob
Very cool Steve, some amazing fishing on the Missouri River up there too.

Sounds awesome Steve. Thanks for keeping us in the loop. I leave for Alberta on the 15th...

Very cool trip Steve. How long will you be up there? Hope you have some incredible waterfowl hunts north of the border.

Beautiful country there. Great pics. Thanks for keeping us posted Steve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very cool! Other states Rock!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome Stevo. Bummer about the dried up tags. Must be more of those CA transplants. Jerks.

The dead head is cool. Garden ornament.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

beautiful place and thanks for sharing. Glad to hear your trip is not ruined by the 0 tags.
Love pdog hunting myself and only done it once in Utah. I was warned not to handle them since they carry the plague. Different story in Mo?

Very cool trip! Do you have a tag for rifle season? Or did I miss something?

Drew,

I don't have a bow or rifle......All licenses that I could use were sold out......Their zone distribution and micro managing is worse than California.....There is no AO type tag.....I've always just bought the combo elk & deer tag. I'll know for next time.

How many deer in this picture?.......All bucks on cousins prop.

ps......No fishing today.......Cold, blustery, and showers......Fall is falling.......Feels like 'fowling weather......;)

. 005.JPG 099.JPG

Reactions: xjon
Steve, how big is your cousins place?

I think it's 10 acres.....But to the west is all open and mountainous.

I'm looking at this place down river from him.....12 acres with grouse, deer, elk, bear, and bighorn.....3,400 sq ft, 3 car garage, + cabin (rents for $400.00 a night during trout season), and pond.....Walking distance to the Missouri too.

ps.....Everything comes fully furnished, quad with brushhog, riding lawnmower, and includes bighorn mount in cabin.....:blush:

. 110.JPG 094.JPG 072.JPG 101.JPG

Reactions: xjon
Steve... Steph and Jacob would be great caretakers. Lol

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu