Montana Elk Hunt

Ali

Nov 12, 2013
Copy and Past from my report on bdoutdoors.com

I had booked a trip to bow hunt bull elk two years ago with Ed from http://horseprairielodge.com/. Unfortunately last summer I blew a disk in my back and had to postpone a year. Ed was super cool about changing the dates and on the first of October we arrived at his place.

Todd and I drove up from San Diego, picked Mikey (BD Video dude from Florida) up in Salt Lake and drove the 5 hours north towards the lodge.

I've never been to Montana before but everything I heard was true. The place is huge with tons of game and just beautiful. The lodge is about 45 minutes from Dillon MT and is nestled just above a stream that full of trout and in some amazing country.

The deal with Horse Prarie is really cool. They basically provide an all inclusive, SELF GUIDED hunt. Ed will get you started by pointing you in the right direction and give you some local dope and tactics.

The very next AM we found ourselves in the woods, before dark and climbing up some serious hills. Mikey is from the Keys and very used to oxygen and flat ground. Some of these hikes almost killed him!

On our first set up, we have a bull bugle back, haul ass in on a rope, bugle again VERY close and then circle around on us. Unfortunately he got our wind and bolted as he circled. Later that day we would have a couple cows sneak in at under 20 yards, but we didn't have a good shot and we really wanted a bull.

Unfortunately, for the next four days, we hunted our balls off and didn't get another shot. A few distant bugles and we saw some animals in the dark and off in the distance, but that was about it. It was very tough hunting with huge inclines, cold weather, swirling winds and bulls that did just not want to play.

I guess this entire season has been really tough. The weather was 90 degrees just a week before we got there and it was cold as hell when we were there in the mornings. Seems like it screwed with their rut cycle or something.

The trout fishing was excellent. We were able to catch a half dozen fish in just an hour. All nice native browns, brookies and rainbows.

Ed also told us about the blue grouse up there. We carried some judo points with us and we'd shoot them with our bows when we came across them in the woods. Not a brilliant animal, they would flush and fly 10-20 yards and stand there or in a tree. We cooked up a pile of them one night and they were INSANE to eat.

Ed's program and his lodge are really solid. The place is very spacious, new and clean. The food was good and there was plenty. There would be a hot breakfast every day and a bag lunch to take with you. Dinner was served shortly after getting back in the PM and getting cleaned up. Ed was a great host and had just about everything we need or could have forgotten.

The self guided element was really cool and I think it would be just the ticket for some of you more experienced guys. You can't beat the deal either, it was $1600 for 7 nights all inclusive.

All and all, I had a blast, learned a ton and I will be back. Stop in and check out Ed at the Long Beach Fred Hall show.

Enjoy the pics.

horse-prairie-elk-3-jpg.jpg

horse-prairie-elk-4-jpg.jpg

horse-prairie-elk-7-jpg.jpg

horse-prairie-elk-5-jpg.jpg

horse-prairie-elk-8-jpg.jpg

horse-prairie-elk-9-jpg.jpg

horse-prairie-elk-6-jpg.jpg

horse-prairie-elk-10-jpg.jpg

horse-prairie-elk-19-jpg.jpg

horse-prairie-elk-17-jpg.jpg

horse-prairie-elk-17-jpg.jpg

horse-prairie-elk-16-jpg.jpg

horse-prairie-elk-12-jpg.jpg

img_2135-jpg.jpg

img_2141-jpg.jpg

horse-prairie-elk-25-jpg.jpg

horse-prairie-elk-23-jpg.jpg

horse-prairie-elk-33-jpg.jpg

img_2158-jpg.jpg

img_2150-jpg.jpg

img_2154-jpg.jpg

img_2175-jpg.jpg

nice report Ali, elk hunting is pretty rad huh :) just a little late in the season to get them in full rut mode. It's always a gamble on the date but next to opening day because they have not been chased yet the 14th of sept normally hits it pretty close up in Montana. Grouse are delicious by the way, big over grown retarded quail.

Yep - pretty darn cool. Thanks for taking the time to post.

This experience is a good example of a hunt being an adventure and not just a harvest.

Great story. Thanks for sharing. That is a great deal for professional guiding all included.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu