MOON PHASE

Lungpopper

GLASS,GLASS,GLASS
Staff member
Mar 2, 2011
Lakeside
schoutdoors.com
I am constantly thinking about the moon phase and what effect it has on deer. Seems like my ideas on it are always changing.
Are any of you guys the kind of guy that has to hunt on a certain moon phase or do you think it matters?

Lungpopper said:
I am constantly thinking about the moon phase and what effect it has on deer. Seems like my ideas on it are always changing.
Are any of you guys the kind of guy that has to hunt on a certain moon phase or do you think it matters?

I think you are right to keep an eye on it. In my personal hunting experience I seem to see less deer during daylight hours during a full moon. When there is little or no moon I see more movement during daylight. I'm no deer biologist but when its as bright as it was the other night with that harvest moon, you could have a dang football game in the street without lights. I imagine the deer are active as well.

For what it's worth -

Moon Phase is definitely an influence on game. So for instance, geese migrate in larger flocks during a full moon. Big game animals tend to bail out of the field earlier in the morning when a full moon is present. Makes sense...

Now with that said, I have had my way with game in all moon phases. It is a variable to keep an eye on but the best recipe for success is to be in the field as much as possible regardless of the moon phase. Ya' cant smash game from the football chair!

LOL!! But I love my football chair! ;D ;D I don't like full moons! I like hunting the mornings, but when its a full moon i hunt the evenings cuz I always have more success in the evening hunts during the full moon. When there is little or no moon, I'll hunt all day long! Especially if its a nice cold day :)

I tend to agree with your guys' posts. Yes, they will move less during daylight hours during a full moon...but they are definitely still moving during shooting light. Look at my hunt last Friday for instance. I seen allot of deer, however they bedded down by 8:30 a.m. I have seen deer with no moon bed down @ 10 a.m. I would imagine that an evening hunt would have even less impact. But yes, I still pay attention to it regardless.

I hunt when the Chargers are playing.....

A buddy of mine doesn't like to miss the Charger games. I tell him that if you're bowhunting and kill a buck, you'll remember it for the rest of your life. Within days of a football game, you'll forget who was playing who and how good/ bad of a game it was.

As for moon phases. I hunt when I can regardless of what the moon is currently. It'll either happen or it won't but at least I wasn't at home wondering.....

The moon phase definitely has an effect on wildlife.But the thing is..most of us all work a 40 hour week and then some...so when the weekend rolls around it's time to get out and do something whether it was a full moon or not. When I was in SD if I wasn't hunting i guarantee to you could find my truck and trailer parked at one of the local reservoirs fishing for bass.And the fishing was most definitely tougher during the full moon phase.The best bite seemed to occur sometime between 11am and 1pm and was very short. Since moving to Arizona in '05 and being self employed I spend as much time in the field as I possibly can.I've learned the deer seem to active during that time as well..They tend to get up for a short period of time in the middle of the day,feed and re-bed. I also believe the moon phase doesn't have near as much effect when they are in the rut.I hunt every day from about Dec 10th to Jan 31st except weekends.

I have been tracking the Harvest Moon in relation to the Rut or what I see as signs of the rut in the field for 5 years now and the pattern is forming to a small window (In my area’s) Coincidence ?????????? Maybe. But I’ll still be out those days………Moon or not. Rain or Shine.

BuckHunter said:
I have been tracking the Harvest Moon in relation to the Rut or what I see as signs of the rut in the field for 5 years now and the pattern is forming to a small window (In my area’s) Coincidence ?????????? Maybe. But I’ll still be out those days………Moon or not. Rain or Shine.
Well then Jim.With that being said tell me this.What days does that window fall on, and exactely where are your areas? ;)

I've actually seen plenty of movement mid-day when there's a full moon. I sit all day regardless of phase. Especially if everyone else is leaving the woods for lunch. That's the best time because they bump deer towards you with all that activity with hunters leaving the woods.

jlroberts100 said:
I've actually seen plenty of movement mid-day when there's a full moon. I sit all day regardless of phase. Especially if everyone else is leaving the woods for lunch. That's the best time because they bump deer towards you with all that activity with hunters leaving the woods.

Good point !

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu