Moorhens ( Coots) are arriving.

A Team

Nov 11, 2019
So I've been trainnig at Prado and noticed the Coots are already showing up in substantial numbers , spent this morning down by Wister and noticed the same thing.

I don't recall seeing Coots in these numbers this early , it may be a good sign , the ducks are usually not far behind , we'll see.

That is great news!! I've spent three duck seasons wondering what those plentiful birds taste like. I'm thinking this year I will shoot one and find out. If they are anywhere near as good as the Ruddy Ducks, San J will sound like Antietam this season. I can't tell the difference between Ruddies and Green-Wings, I'm hoping Coots are the same deal. If it is the case, slow mornings at the sweat-line blinds will be way more fun.

That is great news!! I've spent three duck seasons wondering what those plentiful birds taste like. I'm thinking this year I will shoot one and find out. If they are anywhere near as good as the Ruddy Ducks, San J will sound like Antietam this season. I can't tell the difference between Ruddies and Green-Wings, I'm hoping Coots are the same deal. If it is the case, slow mornings at the sweat-line blinds will be way more fun.

Wister use to (?) have a coot depredation hunt and a BBQ after the hunt. My dad went to it a couple of times and said they weren't bad eating. Now that I think on it, this was 50 yrs. ago. I don't know if they still have anything close to it.

Wister use to (?) have a coot depredation hunt and a BBQ after the hunt. My dad went to it a couple of times and said they weren't bad eating. Now that I think on it, this was 50 yrs. ago. I don't know if they still have anything close to it.
That sounds awesome, sounds like I was born about 50 years too late.

True story. Attached is a pic I took from a hunting book my dad had, I think it was call North American Hunting. They mention coot shoots.

CootShoot.jpg

A few years back i was a member at a duck club , on the last weekend of the season we would do a Coot shoot , it was a ton of fun and the pups loved it !

And the Coots that that had been sitting in the dekes all season long could not figure out what the hell they did wrong !

So I've been trainnig at Prado and noticed the Coots are already showing up in substantial numbers , spent this morning down by Wister and noticed the same thing.

I don't recall seeing Coots in these numbers this early , it may be a good sign , the ducks are usually not far behind , we'll see.

I have noticed the increase in the coots when I’m fishing, the hearts and gizzards are great fried,

Coot is fine eating, sear 1 minute on each side in hot skillet with a dash of garlicsalt leave bloody rare in the middle.

Dang Matt are there any ruddies left at Barrett? Lol how many did you shoot?

Got our limit the on our last hunt last year but there are plenty to go around. No boat motors rentals this year so I may not go as much unless I can find a cheap motor!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The coot harvest at SJ is strong this year...
And so is the ruddy harvest!! Number two duck on opening day!! Most were probably disappointed by the 1.5 average on the opener, but I was excited about all the Ruddies that got shot! Theres nothing like blasting a ruddy on a slow morning! This may be my best year yet, with a great sign like that!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu