Mossberg 935

Hunter527

Apr 3, 2018
Niland, CA
Does anyone on here use or has anyone on here used the Mossberg 935 for ducks? How does it perform? I am particularly interested in its reliability and recoil. Recoil from 3 1/2 inch shells specifically. Like countless other hunters, I’ve killed ducks just fine with 2 3/4 inch 4 shot, but I’ve been thinking about how SoCal duck hunting is pretty tough, and I’ve decided I might as well give that shoveler all the firepower I can get. I shoot left handed and although the 935 is right handed, I like the top safety on Mossbergs. Choices for left handed gas operated 3 1/2 inch semi autos seem pretty slim, so I would appreciate other recommendations as well. I see that the A400 is an option, but thats a lot of money that can be spent on other gear if the 935 can compete with it pretty well in terms of reliability and recoil.

Does anyone on here use or has anyone on here used the Mossberg 935 for ducks? How does it perform? I am particularly interested in its reliability and recoil. Recoil from 3 1/2 inch shells specifically. Like countless other hunters, I’ve killed ducks just fine with 2 3/4 inch 4 shot, but I’ve been thinking about how SoCal duck hunting is pretty tough, and I’ve decided I might as well give that shoveler all the firepower I can get. I shoot left handed and although the 935 is right handed, I like the top safety on Mossbergs. Choices for left handed gas operated 3 1/2 inch semi autos seem pretty slim, so I would appreciate other recommendations as well. I see that the A400 is an option, but thats a lot of money that can be spent on other gear if the 935 can compete with it pretty well in terms of reliability and recoil.
I think having a semi that can handle 3.5 inch rounds is nice to have. Mainly for the big geese. 3.5 inch for ducks is a little much for So Cal. By the time the ducks make it down here they are not as fat and heavy as when they started their migration. 3 inch No 2s or 3s are more then fine. You need to buy the best gun you can afford. I would really look at YouTube clips on what it is like to break down a 935. The Franchi Affinity is good and I killed a bunch of ducks with it with nothing more than 3 inch rounds. I can also break it down all the way to the firing pin without any tools (except for the trigger assembly) in the Blind. It is tougher this season. But, you can suck them in with a good decoy set up, concealment and calling. Relying on 3.5 inch loads will not help you to evolve as a duck hunter. It just encourages longer shots. You want ducks that are in your face with feet down. That is duck hunting. It is not the bullshit high shooters who are too freaking lazy to develop the skills necessary to get ducks to come into their decoy spread hot. Duck hunting is not about killing 7. It is never a number. It is about getting ducks to committ. Whether that is 1 or 7 ducks.

John

I think having a semi that can handle 3.5 inch rounds is nice to have. Mainly for the big geese. 3.5 inch for ducks is a little much for So Cal. By the time the ducks make it down here they are not as fat and heavy as when they started their migration. 3 inch No 2s or 3s are more then fine. You need to buy the best gun you can afford. I would really look at YouTube clips on what it is like to break down a 935. The Franchi Affinity is good and I killed a bunch of ducks with it with nothing more than 3 inch rounds. I can also break it down all the way to the firing pin without any tools (except for the trigger assembly) in the Blind. It is tougher this season. But, you can suck them in with a good decoy set up, concealment and calling. Relying on 3.5 inch loads will not help you to evolve as a duck hunter. It just encourages longer shots. You want ducks that are in your face with feet down. That is duck hunting. It is not the bullshit high shooters who are too freaking lazy to develop the skills necessary to get ducks to come into their decoy spread hot. Duck hunting is not about killing 7. It is never a number. It is about getting ducks to committ. Whether that is 1 or 7 ducks.

John
Thanks for the advice on the Franchi, but I didn’t say I wanted a 3 1/2 gun to take longer shots. I said earlier that smaller shells work fine, but I figured I might as well shoot the shells that have the most pellets. It has nothing to do with skybusting or getting a limit.

The 935 and the 835 are both ported. I ve never noticed.much diff when shooting 3.5s except in the Beretta. My 2cents if you want to shoot and worried about recoil The Beretta is your gun if it fits you Because of the kickoff system. Softest shooting shotgun out there. It also is a machine and you could clean it every couple years and it still cycles....Draw back is its a heavy gun.

I also have the new browning love the gun and lite weight compared to the Beretta but shes a bit finicky on 3.5s and likes to be cleaned regulary.

I have the 835 and the 935 love both guns and for the.price point IMO ya cant beat them. The length of pull is short on both so if your arms are not long its an easier fit. The safety is on the top of the receiver, which IMO is the best place for the safety. I have long arms and shoot left handed and both models fit me fine.
I really abused the 835 the 935and the Beretta when I was younger the 835 and 935 had failures but not till thousands of rounds through and were easy fixes with ordered parts and both guns easy to clean.
3.5s over rated but most everone shoots them for certain hunts. For the price point and the abuse they took I like the Mossbergs hands down.....But guns are like ice cream very few people like just one flavor....Side note Remmington, Benelli and Wichester are fine weapons but they have never shoulder for me worth a damn.

Reactions: Hunter527
Thanks for the advice on the Franchi, but I didn’t say I wanted a 3 1/2 gun to take longer shots. I said earlier that smaller shells work fine, but I figured I might as well shoot the shells that have the most pellets. It has nothing to do with skybusting or getting a limit.
You will gain pellets with 3.5 but you can do a lot with the proper choke set up. Don't get me wrong. I am with you on the 3.5 option. I like it for turkeys and geese and when I am hunting ducks in seriously crappy conditions. Again, make sure what you buy you can easily breakdown. Because once a semi fails to go it can be quite the adventure fixing it in the field.

Reactions: Hunter527
You get what you pay for with autoloaders. Stick with benelli or beretta.
in the early / mid 2000’s 10ga 3.5” was all the rage. Now with better ammo 12ga 3” is more than sufficient. My 2 cents if you can’t kill them with 3” then you shouldn’t take the shot.

Reactions: WildBilly2
2 3/4 or 3 for waterfowl. 3.5 for turkey if needed. 3.5 for waterfowl is waste money and “newer” option for companies to make money off it. 3.5 shell is the equivalent of guys that raise trucks and and never use it

• Haha
Reactions: ilovesprig

John
As I said before I second the Franchi Affinity, especially at that price point, over the Mossy. I like my shotguns and boots Italian.

Reactions: TRICER
Modern shotshell technology pretty much negates the need for the extra payload of the 3.5 shell. I have and still own a Browning gold that chambers 3.5's and a Browning BPS 10 guage as well as a couple of Benelli M1s. Guess what ? I have used and put down beyond what I can calculate far more waterfowl with the Benellis using 3" non tox ammo than I could begin to count. 3" quality ammo used in a gun with good chokes will get it done every day of the week as opposed to 3.5's and having a gun that does not fit and have not practiced with. Shooting a shotgun at game on the wing is skill wise is like playing a musical instrument. If you do not practice you will not be very good at it.

Reactions: TRICER
As I said before I second the Franchi Affinity, especially at that price point, over the Mossy. I like my shotguns and boots Italian.
Mine is an older one and will not take 3.5s. I have killed a bunch of ducks with it using just 3 inch No 2s. If the winds are up or I got a shot at geese then I just take my Citori Over and Under and it eats 3.5 inch rounds for breakfast. It weighs just over 8 pounds and I have no issues with the recoil. But, for Socal 3 inch No. 2s is plenty. I really doubt the better trigger pullers on this forum will even bother with 3.5 inch unless it is a big Canada Goose hunt.

John

I
Mine is an older one and will not take 3.5s. I have killed a bunch of ducks with it using just 3 inch No 2s. If the winds are up or I got a shot at geese then I just take my Citori Over and Under and it eats 3.5 inch rounds for breakfast. It weighs just over 8 pounds and I have no issues with the recoil. But, for Socal 3 inch No. 2s is plenty. I really doubt the better trigger pullers on this forum will even bother with 3.5 inch unless it is a big Canada Goose hunt.

John
I have had the privelidge of shooting Canadas during the heyday of the early nineties using nontox 3' ammo as well as watching hundreds more and maybe upwards of a few thousand during that time fall to 3" loads (never kept others score). Granted it was decoy hunting but that is what waterfowl hunting should be - Get them in the dec's and go to work... Never felt although I used them a bit that 3.5's got it done any better. Just a bigger more bulky weapon and more expensive shell's...

Problem now days folks cant let em pass ,best goose hunting calling them into your decoys feet down,even if its 1kill for the day ,3"2s can kill any size goose eye to eye,majorty of the 3&1/2 shooter i see are ones pushing the geese higher and to the closed zone.

TwoCan do you have any wisdom to share on the 935? I was told off-topic comments are frowned upon!
Well I think your dumb…..hunt from Sunday …..whatcha got home slice?

Attachments

• 8B5E70D3-F529-4F39-83B4-74E139DDC54B.jpeg
    8B5E70D3-F529-4F39-83B4-74E139DDC54B.jpeg
    355.6 KB · Views: 23

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu