Mountain lions in California?

TaftHunter

I hunt a lot
Nov 17, 2012
Taft
Do we have a lion issue?

Everyone be careful out in the wilderness. I had a lion sneak up 5 feet behind me while I was pumping water from the creek a couple months ago. It had just got dark so fortunately my headlight and me yelling at him scared him off. After I got in my tent he came back about 45 minutes later, but took off again. Billy and Marc showed up a few hours later. Saturday morning we spotted him hunting deer.
Pretty stoked he didn’t attack me!

Here’s a picture of him stalking on a small buck. Can you spot the lion?
8de19588d27d43134eb0e650d4b161e7.jpg

I saw another one last week. That makes 8 lions I have seen in the last 3 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a rare pic of a lion stalking a deer. It blends well even in the open.
That lion behind you was close
At the water hole. To close.

Pretty wild, I’m fortunate he didn’t kill me. He walked 1 foot next to my tent, with him in between me and my rifle. Leaving me with nothing but my bare hands to defend myself. Cool experience I hope to never have again.

Pretty wild, I’m fortunate he didn’t kill me. He walked 1 foot next to my tent, with him in between me and my rifle. Leaving me with nothing but my bare hands to defend myself. Cool experience I hope to never have again.

I know what you mean. Couple years ago That lion I ran at to chase off. I figure I got lucky and don’t want to do it again.

Reactions: MamaBear
Don't worry, there will be more and more of them. Politically protected it is only a matter of time until they figure out what creature is easiest. And it ain't deer.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
Crazy man!

I was in A32 just past Oak Flats along the Sespe last year and it was just after dark. I was sipping some cold insta-coffee leaning up against a rock, with my headlamp set to redlight. I notice two big round eyes in the bushes staring at me about 50 yards away. Switch on the bright light, just makes the eyes pop more, can't see a body. I'm trying to convince myself it's a deer, or maybe a yote. Figure if that's the case there may be more animals in the vicinty. Hop up on the boulder I was leaning against and do a quick 360 rotation - don't see anything. Look back to the bush, eyes are gone. Get kinda creeped out and dash into my tent for some of the worst sleep I've ever gotten. First light I go out to the bush and poke around, some of the biggest lion tracks I've ever seen out there. Never a dull moment when you're solo in the wilderness...

Do we have a lion issue?

Everyone be careful out in the wilderness. I had a lion sneak up 5 feet behind me while I was pumping water from the creek a couple months ago. It had just got dark so fortunately my headlight and me yelling at him scared him off. After I got in my tent he came back about 45 minutes later, but took off again. Billy and Marc showed up a few hours later. Saturday morning we spotted him hunting deer.
Pretty stoked he didn’t attack me!

Here’s a picture of him stalking on a small buck. Can you spot the lion?
8de19588d27d43134eb0e650d4b161e7.jpg

I saw another one last week. That makes 8 lions I have seen in the last 3 years.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu