Mt. laguna hunting report

Larry Cochran

Utah Buck 2010
Jan 8, 2011
Alpine, Ca
I went to my usual hunting spot last night on Mount Laguna. I checked some of my cameras and didn't have much action on any of them. I decided to hunt the evening and just sit the stand to see if anything moved. I received a text from a friend of mine saying that he shot a doe and he heard it crash. I sat until dark and had nothing come insight of myself. I got down at dark and helped him find his doe 60 yards from where he shot it. It was a great shot, low in the chest. I guess that is early archery season in our local mountains, being in the right place at the right time is everything. I will start posting pick when get them.

Good Hunting all,

Larry Cochran

Congratulations to your Bro and to you for getting out there. You can't kill stuff sitting in your living room!

I am going dove hunting tonight.

Went up on the mountain this morning to check some of my good spots for bucks and found some descent sign but I can see that the deer are not moving much up there right now, I think we are really going to have to pattern and work for good bucks this year.

Now for one of the most amazing cool things I have seen in the Lagunas in the last 35 years, A Bald Eagle flew out of a tree right next to us early in the morning and sat on this tree in the picture and let us check him out for quite a while. I have seen some awesome things up on that mountain but I cannot remember ever seeing a bald eagle in the Lagunas. Made my whole morning because I never seen any deer.

Mike

Attachments

• SANY4474.JPG
    SANY4474.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 104
Agreed. Pattern the bucks. Problem for me is I haven't located but one so far this year. Wet years are always the toughest for me during early archery. The buck just have too many options.

Thanks for sharing the eagle picture. That's a first for me in this county! I've seen goldens and once I saw a condor but never a bald eagle. I heard there was a few on the coast a couple of pairs around Big Bear Lake? That must have been an amazing sight.

Larry, Is that the 2nd or 3rd deer you have helped find and drag out this year?

Congrats to your buddy. Can't wait to see those pic's.

Michael Pritzl said:
Jim, It was Bryce who shot the doe out of my stand.

I saw a picture of the doe Bryce wacked a few weeks ago. It looked like a perfect heart shot.

Have you Justin and Larry been getting out much this season? See anything?

I have been up a few times, cameras are not showing much and I have not seen a buck yet. Still very early, I was getting a little pissed off but then I see that the leafs have not even started to change. I am going up on Thursday and this weekend so we will see what happens, looks like you have a few good bucks in your area.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu