Mt. Pinos Turkey Scouting

crramos87

Mar 11, 2013
West Los Angeles
Hello all.

I got a tip from an old timer at last years DFG Turkey Hunting clinic at Tejon Ranch that there were turkeys in the hills/valleys between Mt. Pinos and Lockwood Valley in Los Padres NF. Over the past couple of weeks I've scouted just about every inch of huntable forest in that area and haven't found anything. I was wondering if anybody could corroborate the claim that there are turkeys there? I'm new to turkey hunting and this is my first time scouting/hunting turkeys, so it isn't impossible that I'm just missing something. Being that the season opens this weekend any bit of help would be greatly appreciated!

Usually I would tell you to go in just before sundown to find the roost but since your new at this I wouldn't go in just before dark and hike out in the dark. So try sneaking in early before sun up and get to some nice high ground,( not to windy) and get comfortable and listen quietly. At grey light you will hear them gobble before fly down. once they hit the ground they may go quiet on you and you will loose them. Don't worry let them leave the area without knowing you are there. Then go to where you think they were gobbling from and find the roost tree. Then look around and try figure out where they fly down to. If you get all that done then leave and come back the next day before its light out and set up by the fly down spot and get set up and wait. Now that in a nut shell is what you want to accomplish. But that's a hard nut to crack till you develop some turkey killin skills. Way before killin you will scare birds out of the area before you get close. By the time you get it figured out you will be able to get in there in the dark without a flash light, and without making any noise. And soon you will start seeing birds. Figure out the travel routes they use, where are they going? Get there first and be ready for them. You need good woodsman skills, really good luck, and very little calling skills. Don't give up. Try getting involved with NWTF, You will meet some hunters there that are happy to get you heading in the right direction.Good luck and have fun. And safety first.

I've been hunting up there for 6 years and have never seen or even heard of turkey being in that area.. I asked my uncle if he's seen or heard of them being there and he said no. He's been hunting it for 40 years.. A bit of deer though ;D

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu