Mule Deer Poop

BoyScout

Oct 14, 2022
Hey guys I was out scouting yesterday and was finding various ages of deer scat. I found some that were very rubber like and hard and some of that was obviously much older that had lost its color, dried out, and was starting to naturally break down. I know that fresh scat is still wet soft and pliable but in your guys experience how do you guys classify the age of the deer scat so that you know whether or not deer have been in the area recently. I am currently hunting D16 this year.

Really the only way to get a proper age is taste. You really start to get the hang of it after about a season of doing it.
I thought that's how to determine what they have been eating. But seriously, if it looks fresh, it's fresh.

In all seriousness if you see a lot of deer scat that is dark and breaks up kind of green there are deer in the area. You cant find them where they have been only where they are get high and glass.

Sweet! I’ll have to try the taste method lol. Maybe I can give the rest of society CWD someday haha. Awesome! I found some dark ones but rubbery so within a day or two that’s great. For some reason I was thinking a week or something.

You can also toss some in a sandwich bag and watch them age/decay in your backyard. Some in the sun and some in shade. That should give you a good idea.

Reactions: BoyScout

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu