Muleys in SoCal?

PyroTekRob

Nov 3, 2013
Hey SCH, I am not looking for anyone's honey pot. Just wondering in general if there are any public land muleys in southern cali. I hear mostly about them up in x9a and north. But haven't heard much south of there, San Bernardino or San Diego counties mainly. Same with hogs. My interest is Muley, Hog, and turkey. Working 6 days a week, I need to stay close to home(Norco,CA) most of the time. TIA,

Robert

I don't know much about San Bernardino county but San diego county has Muleys (more of a blacktail muley cross) the only thing is their next to impossible to kill. You have to put your time in scouting and hunting. I put in probably 40 hours in preseason last year and 30 hours in during the season before I killed one. My best advice to hunting here is to buy a GPS with public land boundaries on it and put in all your free time and you'll have a decent shot at killing one

Nicholas909 said:
D14 & D11 have some nice muleys. But a lot of pressure. You have to work for the big boys.
I'll look in to those areas. I don't need anything big, just mature, and that provides meat for the table.

You have D15 in your backyard. Search the internet to get started and then on your day off go find em. Put in for draws up north. Every few years you might be able to shoot one from the truck. Win win.

Welcome Pyro..............Our mule deer are considered Pacific Hybrids............... ;)

.http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDAQFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcbhbgc.com%2Frecords%2Fqualifying-species%2Fstate-record-boundaries%2Fdeer-boundaries-by-county%2F&ei=vuVKVd6bN5G4oQTN64DwDA&usg=AFQjCNFmALFdAMFEDQb9e23gHXf9EKh6FA&sig2=fkt9uQ-8jqwE2x-dUQAbAg&bvm=bv.92765956,d.cGU

Attachments

• IMG_9069.JPG
    IMG_9069.JPG
    749.7 KB · Views: 55
Thanks for the welcome, and replies guys, time to get my homework done. Is D15 a successful zone?

PyroTekRob said:
Thanks for the welcome, and replies guys, time to get my homework done. Is D15 a successful zone?

D15 / D16, and most of the southern D's are not too successful. Around 10% (depending if you ask DFW 20% or in actuality -10%). 31 bucks reported harvested in D15 last year w/ 19/31 being 2 point bucks.

D16hunter said:
PyroTekRob said:
Crap. I think I live in the wrong state.
We all do for hunting and fishing lol. I predict their will be little to no hunting or fishing in this state in 30 years

I love how optimistic people are ;D. Hunting in southern California is hard. You have to put in work down here. Hunting Mule deer, Black tail, Pacific hybrid's whatever you want to call them, is nothing like hunting whitetail in the mid-west. But that's what makes hunting theses California deer so much fun.
I have 3 spots in D-14 where I know there a young forky's every year, & I've been after a big buck for the last few years that's been a hell of allot smarter than me. There's deer all around us. You just got to be looking in the right area's.

Great offshore fishing some of the best in the world........San Diego almost had the record large mouth at Dixon a few years back......as for hunting it's good but it could be better that's for sure.

Don't let the numbers discourage you the 10% that kill are the same hunters year after year that put the time in away from the crowds and get it done. You could be one it just takes time, luck & persistence.......

PyroTekRob said:
Crap. I think I live in the wrong state.

Not really.........Tons of deer opps in this state........Some just take some time, effort, and hard work.......Really no different than other places I've hunted.

That's the hard part. I'd have to scout local, D15, more than likely. But I work 60-70 hrs a week. 6 days a week. I don't want a free kill or hand out. It's finding the time to put the work in. When you don't have tons of time to put in, the 10% just seem kind of discouraging. Same with the pigs around here. I just want to put meat in my freezer. I'll have to put the little free time I have to good use.

PyroTekRob said:
That's the hard part. I'd have to scout local, D15, more than likely. But I work 60-70 hrs a week. 6 days a week. I don't want a free kill or hand out. It's finding the time to put the work in. When you don't have tons of time to put in, the 10% just seem kind of discouraging. Same with the pigs around here. I just want to put meat in my freezer. I'll have to put the little free time I have to good use.

That's the Catch22 a lot of us face. Need to scout a lot to be successful but don't have time to scout. You're left to 1) put out a bunch of trail cams and retrieve them god knows when or hope they're still there 2) take a week of vacation near your hunting season so you can pre-scout 3) pay and prearrange some sort of guided service.

Use 1 day you have off and go do a good scout. Spend a few hours walking trails and identifying spots that look like good game holders. That way, you know what areas to avoid or to hit when the season comes around.

Best bet if you can't do the guide service is to look at your objective with different goals.
Yes, you want to put meat on the table / in the freezer but you aren't in the position some of these guys are. If you can't get lucky every year by dropping big game, don't be hard on yourself or your attempts. Frustrating, yes... Game ending, no. Keep trying, plan your vacations (if you get any) before your hunting season. If you don't get to take vacations and you're working 6 days a week all year, sounds like you need a new job! ;) (just messing around)

Dude needs a drone

Ok I have to ask, what do you do for work that makes you run 6 days a week at 70 hrs. Thought I was the only one working that hard.

Aeon said:
Dude needs a drone

Ok I have to ask, what do you do for work that makes you run 6 days a week at 70 hrs. Thought I was the only one working that hard.
Haha, I'd love a drone. I could also use it to film my pyrotechnics shows.

I drive for a construction ready mix company. I worked 13hrs today, and start again tomorrow morning at 0130. Monday - Saturday (and I guess Sunday as my start time for today was 2320 Sunday night).

PyroTekRob said:

With the limited time you have deer hunting will be tough but you shouldn't be discouraged from getting out that one day a week and trying to make it happen.
For pig hunting I would recommend getting a guide.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu