Muzzle brake

That is a killer looking rifle!! I heard Adam Weatherby, owner of Weatherby rifles saying on a podcast that the muzzle break can reduce recoil up to 50% but that it was hard to actually calculate..but he did mention about being able to keep your eye on your shot for a follow up if needed.

A friend of my Dad hunts with a 300 win mag and uses a clamp on muzzle brake from Kahntrol Solutions. He has shot a lot of animals and if my rifle didn’t come with a muzzle brake already I would trust his recommendation.

Is your barrel already threaded? If it’s not threaded look at the Witt Machine clamp on. I have put two of them in my boys rifles they are economical and work great. Drastically reduce recoil.
thanks for the advice i just ordered one

Reactions: TRICER
OK....Took the Ruger American 6.5 Creedmore with muzzle break out to Greenhead Club to sight in....It was bore sighted....So, it was on paper at 25 yds....Took more shots than I should've had to use, but the lead sled was gone....So, it was shot off of a stand and a bag...At a 100 yds, it took another few shots to get what you see on paper....Practically no recioil….BUT!...On about the 6th shot, I forgot to have my ears on...YIKES!...Brutal ringing....I like to be able to hear everything when hunting....So, I think the muzzle break is a no go for me.

ps....One of the guys there had a screw on cap....So I can take the muzzle break off....Did not shoot with the muzzle break off to see how much recoil difference there may be.

.001.JPG003.JPG

I had a buddy that couldn't take the recoil on the 7 mm mag and flinched all the time. So he got a break now he flinches because of the noise and blow back.

I won't hunt with you if you have a break.....sorry

4 of my guns have brakes. I just pop in my ears before I shoot. No big deal. I pop in ears even without a brake so nothing really changed for me. If someone else is shooting as a general rule I have my fingers in my ears or plugs in brake or no brake.

I won’t hunt with anyone who puts their head by my muzzle while I shoot.:p

Last edited:
I had a buddy that couldn't take the recoil on the 7 mm mag and flinched all the time. So he got a break now he flinches because of the noise and blow back.

I won't hunt with you if you have a break.....sorry
that guy needs to get a 7mm-08 he will probably flinch with that as well.b took me 2 years to get my 12YO to stop flinching. Now he has ice in his vanes bit man that was a frustrating habit to brake. If it wasn’t for the muzzle brake I never would have got him to be an ethical shooter. Or I would have had to wait until he was bigger bodied.

that guy needs to get a 7mm-08 he will probably flinch with that as well.b took me 2 years to get my 12YO to stop flinching. Now he has ice in his vanes bit man that was a frustrating habit to brake. If it wasn’t for the muzzle brake I never would have got him to be an ethical shooter. Or I would have had to wait until he was bigger bodied.

Hence, why Stefanie started with a little .243...No flinchy, no missy.

.IMG_9247.JPG

Is your barrel already threaded? If it’s not threaded look at the Witt Machine clamp on. I have put two of them in my boys rifles they are economical and work great. Drastically reduce recoil.
Yup, I have Witt on three of my factory guns. Great groups, loud, but soft recoil.

Reactions: TRICER
Definitely carry those earplugs around your neck when hunting. I've had constant ringing in my ears since 2006 and have some hearing loss (permanent). If I had it to do over again, I would not have gotten a brake. You can shoot more, but your accuracy won't change.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Man I hear ya (not really tho) being under a M2 makes the ears ring.
Side note, forgot to put plugs in when I shot my 06. Rang a long time.
Never remember to put them in when I shoot mammals, don’t ever recall ringing then, just the sounds of high fives.

I am a big fan of muzzle brakes. It's nice to squeeze the trigger and watch your bullet hit it's mark through the scope (no pun intended @MJB ). I am not a fan of having my eardrums smoked so I wear hearing protection. No recoily, no muzzle risey, no missy!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu