My back yard

archerthearcher

Dec 3, 2012
Ramona CA
Sometimes living in Ramona can be really cool.
I heard some "noise" out back and sure enough there are at least 10 turkeys hanging out in my back yard.

But I can't help but wonder, could I invite one to dinner from my own back yard or are there still rules that I am just not seeing?

Ramona is pretty cool i had a flock of toms behind my house during turkey season last spring ive seen deer behind my house also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well if I shoot to the right [in the picture] it is all 'open space' so there is more then 150 yards, but I don't have the "circular" clearance, or do I only need it in then the direction I would be shoot [with a bow]?

Either way, I may use this as an opportunity to meet the neighbors since I just moved in a couple months ago.

"DISCHARGING FIREARMS OR OTHER DEADLY WEAPONS : It is unlawful for any person, other than the owner, person in possession of the premises, or a person having the express permission of the owner or person in possession of the premises, to hunt or to discharge while hunting, any firearm or other deadly weapon within 150 yards of any occupied dwelling house, residence, or other building or any barn or other outbuilding used in connection therewith. The 150-yard area is a “safety zone.” It is unlawful for any person to intentionally discharge any firearm or release any arrow or crossbow bolt over or across any public road or way open to the public, in an unsafe manner. (FGC 3004)PUBLIC ROAD OR OTHER PUBLIC AREA."
This includes your own home, I believe, and yes it is a circular 150 yard radius from the firearm.
I copied this straight out of the 2009 Hunting Regulations Booklet.

What about using a extremely quiet air rifle. It's not a firearm, crossbow or bow?

Affirmative, air rifles are not firearms. Nice and quiet, and legal as long as the projectile doesn't escape your property.
Does anyone know if those .45 cal air rifles would be legal in this case? I don't think a .22 will kill a turkey unless you hit it in its pea-sized brain.
???

.25 cal Benjamin marauder will do the job! 5 shot groups in a quarter at 50 yards and I'm not even a good shot lol

And I just happen to have both a .25 and .22. And a .22 will take one out, but as you mentioned you have to aim for the head which is easy up to 75 yards with either of them.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu