My boy drew X9A

code3run

Feb 27, 2011
Covina Ca
My son drew X9A and we are getting pretty excited about the hunt. Still in planning stages and trying to plan at least one scouting trip prior. I will carry a bear tag which a bear would be a bonus. Any advise for our hunt would be great. We plan on packing in a bit for one night so this should be fun.

Thanks

i think i have a Google earth file i made with some places to go look at and my kill locations :) ill see if i can drag it up. Thats a fun unit with some tall mountains for sure but do not under estimate the low lands :)

Pray for weather, I helped a buddy in 2010 with his tag as luck would have it the day we got there a storm blew in and it snowed for three days on and off. On the fourth day the weather cleared and we went up the mountain found a good glassing spot and watched the deer come down off the high stuff. It was literally a parade of deer coming down the mountain. I saw biggest buck I've ever seen in the wild and my buddy ended up shooting a nice five by five.

Yep, pray for weather.....Early & heavy snow has always been the key to deer movement.....Lived in Bishop for number of years and shot my 1st deer in 1959 in this area (no zones in those days).........Big, big country.........Send me a PM. I'll Google Earth my kill locations and favorite spots as well.

Love this area................. :D

Thanks everyone were getting a little excited to get up there. I dont know if I am going to get a scouting trip by then do to work. We have two areas to look at. He does not want to hold out for a huge buck he says he may shoot the first legal buck so we will see how it goes.

Thanks

have you ever hunted this area ? what area are you thinking about hunting opening day ?

what is your sons goals ? what side of the 395 east or west side by the mammoth airport ?

Snake Charmer said:
Pray for weather, I helped a buddy in 2010 with his tag as luck would have it the day we got there a storm blew in and it snowed for three days on and off. On the fourth day the weather cleared and we went up the mountain found a good glassing spot and watched the deer come down off the high stuff. It was literally a parade of deer coming down the mountain. I saw biggest buck I've ever seen in the wild and my buddy ended up shooting a nice five by five.

Same thing happened to my dad in 2007 up in x12. 2 days of snow and the next day it cleared up and he ended up shooting a 24inch spread 4x4. Seems like you don't see those big guys until the snow pushes them down.

Sent from my iPhone

We were going to pack in but now I think we will just tent camp it then hike in in the dark. Never hunted the area only fished it....

Leaving Friday for this hunt. My friend will be up there tomorrow to scout and hopefully have a buck picked out for us for Saturday. We will mostly likely be hunting the west side of 395..

I hope your boy shoots a buck of a lifetime...

Keep us posted!

I am also heading up there friday, I have been scouting on the weekends. Is your buddy a local?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu