My dog hates water

S

stikbrandon

I can not for the life of me get my dog to get in water! How do I break her of her fear of water?

She is a lab/gsp mix and she won't even goe threw a stream that I hike next to.

I got her when she was about 6 months, so I'm thinking she had a bad experience with water.

Any advice on how to get her webbed feet swimming ?

try getting a kiddy pool or go to a place with shallow calm water and use something they like such as a dog treat or a bird (dead or alive) to coax her into the water, don't force it she has to do it on her own use gentle excited commands and get in the water while trying to coax her in. Most dogs don't know they can swim so they have to build confidence. Sometimes sharing the experience with another dog that likes the water will help them get past their fear when they see another dog having fun with it. Don't try deep water until she is comfortable with shallow.

Great advice SC just remember end on a good note each time and do it often!

I had the same issue with my GSP... hated water until about a year old. It just took me a lot of patience and playing with a ball and getting him excited enough to go retrieve it 6 inches away from shore... then a foot then stepping in.... you get the process. Now I can't keep him out of the water. I also went in with him for a while at first.

What worked for us was having another dog to provide an example. There is no better convincing factor than another dog jumping in and showing your pup its okay.

Trust me as soon as the fear is broken you cannot keep them away.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu