My first trail cam

Sep 26, 2012
Last year, I bought two cheapo trail cameras from Wally World. I went super cheap because I hunt public land, and don't want to worry about losing them. At least, not too much!

I'm trying to help a friend who is new to hunting. Last year, we didn't see any deer (except some eyes in the dark) while we were hunting. I will never be a guide, but I like helping friends- I'm just no good at it. So I decided to scout out some new locations. Two weeks ago, I put up the first of my trail cams, finally, and hoped that I would get a picture of something. Here are the highlights of what I captured:

SUNP00362_zpsd75574e8.jpg

SUNP00832_zps5162ac8d.jpg

Surprisingly, that first photo and one taken shortly afterward were they only daytime pictures containing deer. Every other photo with deer in it was taken after dark. The buck pictured seemed to visit every couple of nights.

Are you guys seeing the same thing in other parts of SD county? That is, are the deer largely nocturnal right now?

Don,

I just got my 1st pix of decent bucks during the daylight hours.......Warm weather and pre-rut make for pretty nocturnal bucks...... ;)

Exciting looking at those trail pix isn't it....... ;D

It sure is! I used to say "just because you see tracks and poop doesn't mean you're going to see deer", which is true. I would sit on areas full of sign and rarely see anything. It's so cool to actually see what's making the tracks, and at what times.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu