My new Quail hunting kit

Crosman999

Jul 26, 2015
Ventura, CA
Hey you guys, a few weeks ago I received several new products sent to me for field reviews. Two of these products were Air Shotguns, one single and one double barrel...pretty friggin cool. I needless to say was a bit skeptical as well as excited to try them out on some birds for Quail opener. I have zero experience hunting Quail period, let alone with an air powered shotgun. I say I was a bit skeptical because my initial thought was it would be big, heavy and have a very low shot count before needing to be refilled to 3000psi. I have two of these but just had to take the double barrel out for some testing....this thing felt and looked just awesome.

nD8NVtQ.jpg

I was provided with several hundred rounds of #8 shot thats capsuled in very much the same manner as a .410, mind you this is a smooth bore and can shoot .50 slugs as well as Air Bolts.. Air Bolts are essentially arrows that can be fitted with broadheads, not yet legal to use here in CA that i'm aware of. The Double Shot shotgun made by Seneca is very unique as it actually has a manual valve that switches the airflow to each barrel.

sAbXIAN.jpg

Having very little experience with any type of shotgun I was very anxious to just fire the dang thing and see the damage it was capable of and to what ranges. I loaded both barrels and set a can out at 25 yards, it blew that thing to shreds...kept moving out to about 50 yards before the spread got to be to much. VERY impressive and in my opinion very useful on birds and even rabbits at closer ranges. Powerful enough to take moving targets with 7 good high powered shots. As mentioned I have had no experience hunting Quail but at the very least figured I could take some photos, video while I was out with Marley. We hiked around for most of the day, I did flush a few Quail but it happen all so fast they were GONE. haha I think I found my calling because it was much more difficult as I had anticipated.

3uHVGJD.jpg

Marley and I had a great day out, the weather was absolutely perfect in the low 80's. I plan to head out again this upcoming weekend with a friend to finish my review as well as to try for some more Quail and hopefully some rabbits. Just thought I would share my little outing, hope to have some success to report back on next week.

I need to try one of those! I can shoot shotguns at my house, but the neighbors arent a mile away, so it gets annoying after awhile.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Crosman999
Cool. Couple questions.
Is it loud ?
Since it’s not a firearm will you have to use nontoxic shot next year ?
I checked a Youtube video and it seemed pretty darn loud, but I would like to hear the comments from the OP though.

That "firearm" definition always seems to be open for discussion.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lungpopper
Cool. Couple questions.
Is it loud ?
Since it’s not a firearm will you have to use nontoxic shot next year ?
Great question, It's fairly loud and does in fact sound like a firearm. As of now Airguns are exempt from the lead ban, although this particular Shotgun can be loaded with a variety of shot. It's .50 so it expels a TON of air during each shot, it's not anything compared to some of my Big Bores but still packs a good punch. It is NOT backyard friendly if that's what anyone was getting to. haha It is an out in the open field gun

Last edited:
What type of equipment does it take fill up these bad boys.
Well it takes some financial commitments to easily fill it. I use 4500psi SCBA fill tank. The cheap way is to use a high pressure stirrup pump.. like a 3 stage bike pump on steroids. I used to use a pump years ago till I could afford a tank. I also have a portable compressor that runs off my truck to fill with on long trips.

I bought a used but newly certified scuba tank for $100 at the local shop.

That’s a nice looking gun! Take it out to the IV for 2nd dove season coming up.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu