My Next Future Rifle

How does the bolt come back or chamber, does it slide straight back? Does the action have incorporated bases ?

You can buy a Tikka T3x with a Leupold scope for the price of that Savage. Just saying...
With a little load work a Tikka is hard to beat. Shot my 7MM-08 out to 600 yards last weekend. 2 different bullets with different powders and it was frickin $$ with both loads at 600.

Last edited:
How does the bolt come back or chamber, does it slide straight back? Does the action have incorporated bases ?
If you have time watch the video on Savage's web page, it has ball bearings in the bolt. no lugs, and is a straight pull & push. no helical action. once a round is chambered the the balls lock in place. it is a super fast reload, with in a second. and that is why it is appealing to me. while there are conventional proven precision rifle out there as every one has mentioned, I like this action. but more research is required. we use to use similar system to lock precision fixture for precise fit, with in tenths of a thousands for high precision large quantity fixture positioning for large volume of parts.
one has to be skeptical of the high pressures involved and that this bolt will not fail. will it catch on, time will tell. I am patient and will wait before I get more serious about purchasing it. and weigh the factors of getting a standard bolt rifle with that cost.

Reactions: baboltin
If the lord permits and I stay healthy , and I am able to fund a new rifle , I want a magnum rifle. with my health condition I have to verify if I can carry a heavy rifle for long periods of time.
mother nature and the mileage on the body, I use to have no time working six days a week, now I have time but not enough funds. so when I move to a new state. I want to purchase a dangerous to large mammal firearm. if god permits.

If you have time watch the video on Savage's web page, it has ball bearings in the bolt. no lugs, and is a straight pull & push. no helical action. once a round is chambered the the balls lock in place. it is a super fast reload, with in a second. and that is why it is appealing to me. while there are conventional proven precision rifle out there as every one has mentioned, I like this action. but more research is required. we use to use similar system to lock precision fixture for precise fit, with in tenths of a thousands for high precision large quantity fixture positioning for large volume of parts.
one has to be skeptical of the high pressures involved and that this bolt will not fail. will it catch on, time will tell. I am patient and will wait before I get more serious about purchasing it. and weigh the factors of getting a standard bolt rifle with that cost.
Regarding pressures and if it will catch on... Blaser has been making a straight pull action for quite a while now (the R8) and they chamber them in everything up to a .500 Jeffries. I think they’re quite popular with the African dangerous game crowd.

Regarding your budget... why pay double for a straight pull action? For 750 bucks the Tikka is really hard to beat. Awesome guns, you can buy them in a number of magnum chamberings if that’s what you really want. In my opinion if you think the difference between life and death is you having to lift and lower the bolt handle, you’re thinking too hard about it. Just my opinion.

Regarding pressures and if it will catch on... Blaser has been making a straight pull action for quite a while now (the R8) and they chamber them in everything up to a .500 Jeffries. I think they’re quite popular with the African dangerous game crowd.

Regarding your budget... why pay double for a straight pull action? For 750 bucks the Tikka is really hard to beat. Awesome guns, you can buy them in a number of magnum chamberings if that’s what you really want. In my opinion if you think the difference between life and death is you having to lift and lower the bolt handle, you’re thinking too hard about it. Just my opinion.
Good comments Kellendv. Makes sense

if you are going to spend 1400 on a factory gun you might as well spend the extra money you need to build a custom rifle with a good tube. The 700$ rifle is all you need for hunting 99.9% of the time. If you want ultimate accuracy then do not mess with mid range factory stuff. GO BIG and build it

if you are going to spend 1400 on a factory gun you might as well spend the extra money you need to build a custom rifle with a good tube. The 700$ rifle is all you need for hunting 99.9% of the time. If you want ultimate accuracy then do not mess with mid range factory stuff. GO BIG and build it

Building a custom rifle can be intimidating for someone who has never done it before...and relatively it is a very long process. Plus the extra money can be put toward good glass.

For me personally, the real draw of a custom rifle is about getting a longer throat with fast twist rates for our copper bullets.

Just hunting Aeon

Thanks guys I am rethinking it, I have old mossy that can do that, it does fine up to 300 yards, I mean it works, but I need a magnum rifle like I said for dangerous game and large game like elk. & bear. I posted here because I do have common sense that says do I really need a straight pull. but I would like to purchase a medium range rifle, and tinker with it. lets say 500- 700 yards, I always like the 7 MM rem mag, but it is at the bottom of the totem pole for dangerous game. I just looking at future needs so it's not a immediate need.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu