Need Game Cam Help Please!!!

HunterBK

Apr 18, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
So here I am all excited to go get my first game cam out of the forest after a 3 week stay. Well, turned out to be a total bust. I had 2000+ pictures of nothing. I think it was taking pictures of leaves blowing, but, I had the PIR set to "Low", so I thought that meant low sensitivity to movement. Not sure why I had some many pictures of nothing?

Also, the game cam didn't take a single picture at night?

Here's the setup I was using. Hopefully there are some experts out there that can help.

Cabela's Outfitter Series 8MP IR Game Cam
Camera Mode - Photo
Clock - 12 Hour
Photo Size - 8MP
Photo Burst - 1 Photo
Video Length - 10 sec (it didn't take any videos)
Time Lapse - Off
PIR Trigger - Low
PIR Interval - 0 sec

Please let me know if you have any suggestions on how I can get better results!

Thanks,

The settings are fine. You may have had a branch in the foreground to keep setting it off, or you could have mounted it on a branch that was too mobile. Also, set it up facing down the trail you are watching, maybe set it up where the trail bends, so you won't miss the passing animal that triggers the shot.

Settings look good overall, I would suggest going to a higher sensitivity might sound counter but maybe it wasn't sensitive enough to pick up any of the game... Also might want to try 3 pic burst setting to catch anything behind the initial trigger. Not sure if it's supposed to be 12 hour or 24? Night doesn't seem to have as many false triggers. I know I've put them out and thought it was perfect and had a card full of shadow time lapse. Keep trying different cameras and if the problem persist I would exchange it and give something else a try.

Good luck!

You might also try setting it out in your yard or somewhere nearby till you understand the sensitivity settings, just so you can get to it more easily and experiment with the settings.

Thank you both for your help so far.

I had it set up looking down the trail and in an area where it wouldn't be in direct sunlight. It was secured to the base of a tree, so no significant movement there. I think the culprit was a branch in front of the camera.

Cobra, my understanding of 12 v 24 hour is that 12 is AM/PM and 24 hr is military time. I don't think it has any effect on when the camera takes pictures, but I could be wrong.

Also, in terms of me not getting any night photos, you mentioned that night doesn't have as many false triggers. So is it safe to say that your suggestion of increasing the sensitivity might help capture more night photos?

Thanks again,

i tried mine on a tree in my front yard pointing towards my front door in one day i had over 500 pics most showing a branch that was in front of the camera, the rest was family coming and going
but it would get only half of the person because of the angle of my camera,so i adjusted the camera to shoot up the walkway towards the street, much better results 2 to 3 pics of each person coming and going
up and down the game trail to my house. i live on a court ,and with my camera i noticed a lot of vehicle traffic,35 yards from camera,i'll be turning this info over to DEA !!

Sounds to me all your setting are about right.....My cameras are on high sensitive.....The camera shutter speed is slower for what ever reason at night. many more blurry pix......My guess is your camera had branches or something in front of it.....No other pix just tells me nothing walked by.

From a couple of nights ago. Date is wrong......Bushnell 8mp, Trophy Cam.

Attachments

• 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 067.JPG
    067.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 096.JPG
    096.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 14

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu