Need help finding a place to hunt.

Nate756

Oct 12, 2012
Hey guys I need help finding a place to hunt in or close to Ventura county. I would like to hunt some turkey, some dove, and finally some quail. If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great. I'm a relatively new to the hunting world so most info is helpful.

Hi Nate and welcome to the world of hunting :) You live near the Los Padres national forest, so march down to the local forest service office and pick up a map showing where the boundary lines are. All three live inside the NF

Now how do you find where in the bazlillion acres do such critters live you might be wondering. Hard work and time! Go out and hike a LOT. Go to the forest service station and ask. ( be ready to run sometimes the forest service guys are not hunter friendly) Go buy some ammo at a local store and ask the clerk. Drive around and look for hunters and game aka road hunting. ( this is a time honored tradition and all of us do it even if we do not admit it) Google locations and words like quail and read. For every minute you spend on the internet looking spend two hours in the field.

Do not expect lots of dove near you. Its just not a hot bed of dove activity but that said i have seen them there. Turkey hunting on public land is always a challenge but you can do it. Quail are all over and not to hard to find some but once again do not expect to stack them up right away be ok with failure and learning the ropes. IT TAKES YEARS

Hey thanks for the info ill be sure to check it out. Also I do most of my hunting in NorCal so I'm not really familiar with the land around me so this really helps out thanks!

just hunt down the hwy 33. pine mountain, lockwood valley, rose valley, etc............. There are lots of good ares up there. i grew up hunting there. get a map and know where ur going. good luck 8)

Now anywhere down the 33 or what? Also is it just off the 33 or look for back roads kind of thing?

I have been hunting Las padres for deer. I hear that the lockwood valley is good for quail. I have not seen many game birds but I have not really been looking. There are not that many roads off of the 33, and a lot of them are private. Stop at the info center just past wheeler gorge get a map and study it. Lots of pretty steep, tough, terrain, but a great place none the less.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu