Need some help

common golden eye, was a lot more of them in mex this year for some reason

What color was the head, the pic does not show it very well. Green or purple for the win. If you look at pics of eclipse commons its pretty close. The couple I got this year looked that way. Chalked it up to young birds

Last edited:
its for sure a Goldeneye, the question is what flavor. its not a clean barrows or common. could be a juvenile or eclipse maybe. purple head is a barrows. as @Mud Pigeon said it could be a cross up. a clean barrows is a pretty bird!!!!

The other duck I posted was brown with a golden eyes. I’ll have to see if I can find the picture. I’ll try to find the pic on my computer

Here are a couple juvenile drake common goldeneye I shot. Heads are completely brown no green or purple iridescent.IMG_0962.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know what type of duck this is? Saw it at Santee lakes on sat. My first thought was wow that's a big mallard then it got closer and I saw it had a black and white head. Looks like a domestic duck.

20220319_093353.jpg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu