New CA wolf pack

TRICER

Dec 20, 2014
tricerusa.com
https://www.gohunt.com/read/news/new-wolf-pack-confirmed-in-california

No matter how you feel about these guys we better get use to them. Even if they establish a manageable population CA will never let us hunt them.

I honestly think they are cool critters and it is neat to have them returning to their home ranges. With that said once established they should be managed like any other game animal.

They were reintroduced into the Gila NF where I turkey hunt.....1st off, they're not your smaller Mexican grey wolves (even tho they say they are)....They have wiped out the deer herds and are now working on the elk....Oh, and you can't touch them.

Here's the trade off.....You want apex predators (grizzlies & wolves) or do we want big game animals....There's a reason our forefathers eliminated them here.

Last edited:
And I am convinced from the timing of the first pictures of the pups that DFW totally planted them in CA.

Wow what terrible news. I have heard they were in Northern CA. I couple of friends who are houndsmen up there sent a bad pic of a hound that was killed by a couple of these wolves not too long ago.

This is a bad deal.

no bullshit but I saw 2 of them 40 yards away 200yds into kitchen creek. they told me they don't know how they would have gotten there. Julian wolf center. Wink Wink. I used to skin road kill and they would send someone to pick it up. Just saying. Just like they deny putting bears here also. SSS.

Had one chasing deer on a property in Julian a year ago.....Ended up being a neighbors hybrid.....Looked exactly like a wild wolf.....I broke a walking stick scaring it of a doe.....Ran like no other, when it finally saw me.

It is the intent of the people of this state to have the predators control the game therefore eliminating hunting all together. This is a step in that direction.

Late to the party, but I see a lot of unbalanced and unfair criticism of wolves here.

In the areas they arrive the herds will go through the same issues they had in Yellowstone. When the wolves were introduced, the herds got slammed pretty hard because they hadn't dealt with them in some time, but their instincts recovered and a balance has been achieved. I make no claim that they won't hit cattle herds, but to advocate for wholesale slaughter of a native species is not something I care to advocate for. Management is one thing, extirpation is another.

On the other hand, coyotes will revert to a much more passive role in the areas where wolves are present. One of the biggest reasons for the coyote boom was the extirpation of wolves.

The biggest problem we'll face with wolves is referendums initiated by anti-hunting organizations, notably the HSUS. Scientifically managed populations free of politics is the best thing for us hunters; as long as the voters can trust in the biologists doing their jobs, we should be OK.

it's the people in this state that elects the SNOW FLAKES. they do and will always have the hunters by there throats. basically to some it up guys they have us by our nuts unless we stand up and take them by there necks and stop this BS. The mountain lion population is out of control and now wolves. Wait until you see them drag a 2 year old child down...

it's the people in this state that elects the SNOW FLAKES. they do and will always have the hunters by there throats. basically to some it up guys they have us by our nuts unless we stand up and take them by there necks and stop this BS. The mountain lion population is out of control and now wolves. Wait until you see them drag a 2 year old child down...

Donate to conservation organizations, make your voice heard. TRCP and BHA are great ones.

One more thing slightly related, the current CDFW Wolf Plan has said that CDFW will be given fund, and the plan "requires these funds to be solely expended to acquire lands, complete projects, and implement programs to benefit antelope, elk, deer, wild pigs, bear, and sheep, and expand related public hunting opportunities"

If this changes we should be worried, right now it seems like they're working on maintaining deer populations.

Last edited:
Reactions: longbowhunter2
https://www.gohunt.com/read/news/new-wolf-pack-confirmed-in-california

No matter how you feel about these guys we better get use to them. Even if they establish a manageable population CA will never let us hunt them.

I honestly think they are cool critters and it is neat to have them returning to their home ranges. With that said once established they should be managed like any other game animal.

You said the big phrase "With that said once established they should be managed like any other game animal." this will not happen in the near future. We have a certain party who run the state that protect apex predators or "animals" with the intent to eliminate deer and elk to allow regrowth of "endangered resident flowers and grasses." 2 years ago the mountain lion was listed as a thriving species in the state of California which California themselves published in a biology report. Ironically after 3 confirmed mountain lion attacks in California; California republished the biology report with no explanation into the study and upsetting enough the claimed that the mountain lion numbers were drastically low! I'm not sure about anyone else who study these apex predators but its upsetting when you try and contact the authors of these reports and they act like they have no clue what you are taking about.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu