New dog

D16hunter

Jun 28, 2012
San Diego
My dad just put down a deposit for a male black lab which were going to breed with our yellow in a year and a half super excited

Congrats...........Nothing like a lab pups...........Hope you get a few yellows in that litter..........My cousin awhile back bred his male chocolate with a yellow and they got 9 blacks........ :-[

ps......Only guarantee is yellow with yellow.

ilovesprig said:
.My cousin awhile back bred his male chocolate with a yellow and they got 9 blacks........ :-[

As it should be!!!!!! blasphemy this talk about off color labs

I agree Bill................Despite owning yellows & chocolates the last several years......Blacks are still my favorite.

ilovesprig said:
ps......Only guarantee is yellow with yellow.

You are correct, unless those yellows are chocolate-factored.
Here is a website that shows you what you can expect, more or less, when you breed labs of various coat colors:
http://www.blueknightlabs.com/color/coatcolor.html

It's complicated! If you look through the list on the left, you see dogs of the 3 colors, with little rectangles representing color "factors". What that means is that the dog has an ancestor that was that color, AND has the ability to pass along that gene. All labs are black factored, so any lab can have a black pup- it's the dominant gene. Yellow or chocolate coats are only manifest when BOTH parents have that coat or are factored for that coat. A chocolate bred to a yellow will only produce blacks unless the yellow is chocolate factored, or the chocolate is yellow factored, in which case some will be black, and some may be yellow or chocolate.

However, chocolates should not be bred to yellows, because this can result (in some breedings) in a "Dudley" lab, in which the dogs lips, nose, and eyelids are pink, and susceptible to sunburn (please pardon my gross over-simplification of this issue!). Here's an article with more info on that:
http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/yellow-pigment.html

This may be boring to many, but it's fascinating to me!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu