New Hunter From Perris

prezm9

Mar 7, 2016
Hey all,

Starting fresh, no experience hunting any kind of game. I have been fishing both lakes and ocean for a long time and been a gun owner since I became of legal age to own one.

Now I am getting into hunting and planning to start with small game and working my way up to hogs and deer. Wanting some info on local areas so I can start learning basics. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Prez,

Welcome to SCH......Hunting for fish can be very similar to hunting game.....Patience, being observant, and being able to change tactics are all important.....Also there's no substitute for scouting and being in the woods.....Just yesterday, I saw a lot of deer in places that are perfectly legal to hunt.....Get yourself some maps of the area you intend hunting. Study them closely.....It will give you a head start, when the leather hits the dirt.... ;)

Lots of opps for deer hunting here in SoCal......Hunting pigs not so much...... ;D

Thanks sprig,

Last couple of months I been loading up on gear, rifles, scope mainly the big price stuff. I will probably take a trip to bass pro shop this weekend see what I can find, also get info on getting into the hunter safety course so I can get my license. Any maps you recommend in particular?

prezm9 said:
Thanks sprig,

Last couple of months I been loading up on gear, rifles, scope mainly the big price stuff. I will probably take a trip to bass pro shop this weekend see what I can find, also get info on getting into the hunter safety course so I can get my license. Any maps you recommend in particular?

Cleveland NF, BLM, Riverside Co., and use Google earth......The Onyx app is great for your smart phone.....BPS has leafy suits on sale (and a bunch of other camo).....I almost never hunt without one on.

Thanks sprig. I had read about the OnXHunt app earlier on today from a post on this forum and been playing with it most of the day. Seems like a good app. I will look for those other maps and camo you mention.

welcome prez, I have had the subscription for oxmaps for 3 years now, would'nt leave home without it, by the way im pretty close to you in menifee

Thanks Wiley, have you used Trimble GPS Hunts? If so, how does it compare to OnXHunt? Do you do any hunts locally or do you travel up north Cal.?

I tried it a few years ago and went with onxmap, i like onxmap better , most of my hunting is done in the San Diego and Imperial counties, like sprig said, get maps of cnf and blm, good to have hard copies to.....I will pm you my number

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Welcome Prez,
I have Trimble and onx, and I end up using onx almost exclusively.

onxmaps is the way to go heres some screen shots from the app

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-02-15-17-11-37_resized.png
    Screenshot_2016-02-15-17-11-37_resized.png
    387.2 KB · Views: 97
  • Screenshot_2016-03-13-18-51-21_resized.png
    Screenshot_2016-03-13-18-51-21_resized.png
    436.6 KB · Views: 96
Thanks Chris.

Back to the map question, I purchased the USDA maps for the CNF, SBNF and LANF and wondering if those are good maps to have as back up in case the phone battery dies or are there better options out there?

Thanks in advance

prezm9 said:
Thanks Chris.

Back to the map question, I purchased the USDA maps for the CNF, SBNF and LANF and wondering if those are good maps to have as back up in case the phone battery dies or are there better options out there?

Thanks in advance
Get the quadrangle topo maps.. they're quite detailed, and are spiral bound and sturdy enough to stash in your pack as backup. Available at ranger stations, USFS offices or u can order by phone I believe.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu