New hunter from Riverside Area Intro and question (No, not your hunting spot)

IMJ2000

Mar 30, 2015
Hi Everyone,
I just got into hunting late last year along with my son. He is 14 and I thought it would be something good for us to learn together and keep us bonded even as he gets older.We started out dove hunting Locally and up Near Lone pine (Not a lot there but I love the area). We also went this weekend to try our luck at some turkey in the Julian area. I had done some scouting previously but boy it seems tough. I saw them around the roads or on private property of course, but I'm hunting public land. We have a lot to learn and hopefully I can pick up some pointers. I do have one question regarding hunting etiquette and that is, if you pull into a trailhead and someone is also parked there do you head to another spot? We had the misfortune of bumping into someone and he wasn't too. I wasn't looking to share or steal a spot from anyone, but if there are several directions one could go from where they park it seems like its bound to happen. Hope its OK I posted that question here.

Welcome to SCH IMJ. There won't be any lack of opinions here. And there are some good ones...

Parking at the same trailhead shouldn't be an issue but hunting on top of someone would be. If I bump into someone I usually try to engage in conversation so they understand my intentions. In a lot of cases you may end up with another good resource and a possible friend down the road.

IMJ2000 said:
Hi Everyone,
I just got into hunting late last year along with my son. He is 14 and I thought it would be something good for us to learn together and keep us bonded even as he gets older.We started out dove hunting Locally and up Near Lone pine (Not a lot there but I love the area). We also went this weekend to try our luck at some turkey in the Julian area. I had done some scouting previously but boy it seems tough. I saw them around the roads or on private property of course, but I'm hunting public land. We have a lot to learn and hopefully I can pick up some pointers. I do have one question regarding hunting etiquette and that is, if you pull into a trailhead and someone is also parked there do you head to another spot? We had the misfortune of bumping into someone and he wasn't too. I wasn't looking to share or steal a spot from anyone, but if there are several directions one could go from where they park it seems like its bound to happen. Hope its OK I posted that question here.

I hunt plublicland also if you get there a least an hour before sunup and if your close to someone theyll
hit you with aflashlight so youll have to choose a different area im usually there 2 or 3 hrs early that way i
got my spot and im doing the flashing edicate would be not to wander in aafter sunrise and dont leave your spot too early either and ruin someones stand. Thats why its important to scout before season starts good luck!

As long as you aren't a jack@$$, it shouldn't be a problem. Example: If I'm parked at the trail head and I'm in my spot because I did my due diligence and at daybreak I look across to see some dumb arse walking in the middle of the field being a loud idiot, I'm going to be pissed. If you came in and respected the area not knowing where I was, I would have no issues with you accidentally bumping my spot or my game. That's the gamble we all take when we hunt public land. Approach and glass and look for hunters. You can make your decision based off the location. Probably not the same answer for every situation so play it by ear.

NBK said:
Welcome to SCH IMJ. There won't be any lack of opinions here. And there are some good ones...

Parking at the same trailhead shouldn't be an issue but hunting on top of someone would be. If I bump into someone I usually try to engage in conversation so they understand my intentions. In a lot of cases you may end up with another good resource and a possible friend down the road.

Plus 1

Well we did come in quietly. We approached the edge of our spot and paused for a bit. He was able to get our attention with a whisper followed by a flash of a orange cap I think he had tucked away, I think his frustration may have come from not being able to get our attention quickly enough. This guy was practically invisible. He asked "Can you PLEASE find a different spot to hunt" and we did. Being new to things we don't want to ruin some ones hunt while we still have lots to learn. We were in and out within 2 minutes. No time for small Talk :'(

Seems to me as though you handled it well and set a good example for your son. That's the breaks on public land.

Plus you never know when that guy is going to wave you in and tell you about other gobblers that wanna die.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu