New Hunter, Got a Tikka 30-06

That is a true statment but what I lose in excuses I gain in confidence... Now I feel like I have the right gun for the job.. Now it's up to me to make it happen.

I have an old S&W 30-06 I got from my Dad. Great gun. It's only missed one time on big game when I was 16 and had buck feaver. The second shot did the job though. It's dusty now, but someday my son will let her rip. (If it's still legal here in 13 years)

Now that you know that rifle shoots, make it a point to never use a metal brush of any kind to clean it. Also use only a coated cleaning rod (like a Dewey) so that you don't leave scratches in the bore. So many people do not know that those scratches collect copper real quick. The more you use metal brushes and/or a uncoated cleaning rod the more scratches you make. Before you know it your rifle looses accuracy. Use a cleaning jag wrapped with the proper size patch and a good copper solvent. When done, make sure to get the copper solvent cleared out of the barrel so it won't corrode and rust the barrel. And remember to run an oily cleaning patch down a few times to make sure it won't rust sitting in the gun safe.

I've been using "Wipe Out " foaming bore cleaner no brushes or scrubbing required just squirt it in and let it do the work, also it is not corrosive so you can leave it overnight with no worries about corrosion. Try it you'll throw out all your brushes

Thanks for the gun care tips guys. All my gun cleaning info is out dated.

Have not tried the "Wipe Out". Just ordered 2 cans from Sinclair Intl. Gonna' give it a try! :)

Try GUNZILLA.... GUNZILLA is a company making one heck of a cleaning solution. I have a few friends on the San Diego county Sheriffs Dept S.W.A.T. team and have learned a lot of shooting technics and gun mantiance from those guys. These guys have used so many products in the past with good/bad results and I can say that this product is a thumbs up with them. GUNZILLA makes a copper solution called COPPERZILLA that you don't have to worry about bad chemicals causing corrosion or rust. It works without having to use brushes and such. There are a lot of copper solutions out there that can be bad for a rifle if not removed properly....that's why I stated that you have to make sure you have to get the copper solvent out and oil the bore right after being done. With Gunzilla products you don't have to worry about rusting if you don't get it all (the solvent that is) out. It can only be found on line right now but I am sure that will change soon.

Thanks for all the tips.. I look foward to a lifetime of enjoying this gun so I haven't and won't be using a brush. It was soo much fun the first time at the range with this gun. I'm itching to get back and try some hand loads.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu