new hunter in los angeles

Micky_Tyne

Jun 6, 2016
So i live in los angeles and i'm very new to hunting. Wanted to get more information on the type of game available to hunt, thats within 3 or 4 hours from LA. Im really only interested in hunting something i can butcher up and eat, I'm a big believer in not letting any part of the animal go to waste and it doesn't get any fresher than killing it yourself. It's a very Humbling experience. Any information, sites or reading material would be great. Also because I'm new id want to go with a guild ideally.

Best,
MT

Micky,

Welcome to SCH...........1st off get the mammal regulations (Wal-Mart, Big 5, Turner's, etc.).....Much is explained in there. There's DFW's website too.

If you're only going to hunt with a bow, then your options are pretty limited.....Deer are just about the only big game we have in SoCal and are most everywhere. There's a number of bow only hunting opps. So again, check the mammal regulations. Going north, there's guided pig hunts as well.....Depending on your pocket book. The Tejon Ranch option is close & can be quite good.

Welcome Micky. I'm in LA also. Been hunting and fishing and backpacking most of my life. Lots of game within 4 hours. The guides up north are awesome for pig or even bear. The deer are here you just have to find them. What are your bow and fire arm options? A shot gun and a love a eating birds is a good idea in so cal. It opens up a much longer hunting season and much more game.

Welcome Micky. Getting a shotgun opens a lot of bird hunting options. Lots of different kinds of birds to hunt in SoCal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu