New hunter

CLarson757

Dec 29, 2019
Hey everyone,

new to the site and hunting for the most part. Spent a lot of my life camping, hiking and backpacking throughout some of the country but I’m looking for a new way to experience the outdoors. I’ll be in search of my first deer this coming season in D16 and I’m always up for any pointers or info that’s available. Bought a used bow this summer and picked up a bolt gun from my uncle. I’m leaning more towards bow hunting but I don’t want to limit myself too much.

Either way, thanks for putting this together and I’m looking forward to learning from those who are interested in sharing.

Welcome, never to soon to start scouting. Also if you can swing buying a shotgun it will open up a lot of hunting opportunities and seasons between now and the next deer season. Get out enough and you will know where the animals are when the season opens.

Reactions: CLarson757
CL757,

Welcome to SCH...Like was mentioned above, invest in a shotgun...Turkey season is right around the corner here in San Diego Co. (D-16)...You get to scout for deer at the same time as hunting this magnificent bird.

Our adult season starts March 28th and there's even a 2 week archery only season at the end, if you decide to only use the stick & string.

To get you started, there's a NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-up on Feb, 22nd at Lake Sutherland...Lots of like minded folks and you'll learn everything you need to know about turkey hunting.

Reactions: CLarson757
Welcome, never to soon to start scouting. Also if you can swing buying a shotgun it will open up a lot of hunting opportunities and seasons between now and the next deer season. Get out enough and you will know where the animals are when the season opens.

Much appreciated and will definitely be looking for a shotgun. I’ve got my bird tag so I’m ready when season starts.

CL757,

Welcome to SCH...Like was mentioned above, invest in a shotgun...Turkey season is right around the corner here in San Diego Co. (D-16)...You get to scout for deer at the same time as hunting this magnificent bird.

Our adult season starts March 28th and there's even a 2 week archery only season at the end, if you decide to only use the stick & string.

To get you started, there's a NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-up on Feb, 22nd at Lake Sutherland...Lots of like minded folks and you'll learn everything you need to know about turkey hunting.

Thanks for the reply. I’ll definitely make an effort to get the event on the 22nd. I’m interested in turkey hunting also so this would probably be very informative and helpful.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu