New Hunting Buddy

wiley

Feb 11, 2014
just brought home an 8 week black lab, both parents and grandfather were hunting dogs.....gonna have a blast with this little gal (Sadie)

I just ordered the Fowl Dawgs 1 dvd....any other tips appreciated

Attachments

• sadie.jpg
    sadie.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 157
My advice:
1. train every day, at least once (twice being better), for 10-15 minutes per session (and no more than that).
2. As a puppy, play retrieving games, but only do 3-5 retrieves. Put the sock/bumper/retrieving object away with her wanting more!
3. The best $40 you can spend on a dog: http://www.gundogsupply.com/retriever-training-basics-dvd-with-danny-farmer-and-judy-aycock.html

4. Here's a training flowchart from Mike Lardy that is an excellent guide. You might have to read up on what the terms mean, but that comes with the territory! http://www.totalretriever.com/images/FlowChartDownload.pdf
5. Learn from all the programs, but pick one and follow it.
6. Have fun, and enjoy your new pup!

Have had her a week now and she has acclimated pretty well to our family, sleeps in her crate all night, our german shepard loves her....been playing the retrieve the toy games for a few days with her about 10 minutes at a time a couple times a day and she does well but im having a biting problem, little ankle biter, tried the yelp limp hand approach and she just keeps coming, tried the upper top lip grab along with no bite and would get some response but only for a short time, this morning i tried the snout grab with no bite and she really responds well to this, not hard but enough to get her attention, stops immediately and and will stay without biting for quite some time, had to do this a few times over a 2 or 3 hour time period and it seems to be working......

my question is is this an ok training procedure to get her to stop biting, searched the net and get so many conflicting answers, just dont want to do more harm than good when it comes to training down the road .

thanks guys for your input

my dog didn't really bite on my hands but she did play bite on my wife's, I'm not sure if this is the right way but my wife would stick her hand to the back of the dogs mouth grab her lower jaw and say "leave it" ( the command that i use to get her to drop whatever is in her mouth) till she would try to spit her hand out.

like i said I'm not sure if that's the right way but it worked. needless to say, she doesn't do it anymore.

ask snake charmer

keep using the verbal command and she'll get it verbal command than nose grab if she doesn't stop. But always use the verbal command first remember she's young......puppy teeth suck at about 5 months they will be gone

Thanks guys, she is starting to get it, I just use the verbal command now and she stops, with me anyway, trouble is i have 3 grandkids that play with her and let her bite..

Stikbrandon, read alot of your posts about your dog, im with you, I want a family dog that will sleep on the bed , ride shotgun in the truck and know how to sit, here, heel, and retrieve birds on command , other than that just be a buddy

wiley said:
Stikbrandon, read alot of your posts about your dog, im with you, I want a family dog that will sleep on the bed , ride shotgun in the truck and know how to sit, here, heel, and retrieve birds on command , other than that just be a buddy

Yea she's a good dog. She loves the going for rides in the truck, going to lowes , haha. She's a happy dog. As soon as she learnd the sit, here, heel commands down to the T, I started working on her straight line retrieves. For the most part Wiley, my dig does everything I need her to do. She's not perfect and i let her wonder around while "still" hunting doves, but as soon as wwe start shooting she's a bird machine.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu