New Los Angeles hunter

MasonP

Nov 21, 2021
Hey guys and gals,

Im 30 and I have lived my whole life in the Los Angeles area. My family was never big on the outdoors unless there was a hot shower, flushing toilet, and pillow mints to return to. Lately Ive been getting more into hiking and camping, have always wanted to hunt but had nobody teach me as a child and basically always saw it as a "if you dont have someone to take you out a few times to teach you, you're SOL" type of thing. I am no stranger to firearms, Ive worked law enforcement or law enforcement related jobs since I turned 18, so no big hurdle to get over on that front.

Ive finished Hunters Ed, but havnt bought a license yet because I wasnt quite sure if I was going to make it out this year, especially already being in the middle of November. Im excited to read and chat more here, hopefully pick up some tips, and with any luck find a hunting buddy or two, especially ones that can hunt weekdays as thats usually when my days off are.

Other hobbies include lifting weights and I own my own home bakery business as well, so I can definitely provide treats for meetings or outings :D

What are you wanting to hunt?
Im up for pretty much anything, but I feel like I am most interested in waterfowl, hogs, and deer. Rabbits and squirrels would be fun to plink with some .22 also, and I would have a ton of fun cooking them up (have a background that includes culinary school) but I would really like to focus on bigger game

Mason,

Welcome to SCH...My 1st suggestion is, pick a game bird or animal and concentrate on that...2nd is, buy a shotgun, if you don't have one...Your opportunities are much greater with the shotgun...There's 2 wildlife areas that are within driving distance from you...With San Jacinto W.A. being much closer...Go hang around on a Saturday...Ask Tom (area manger) some questions about the procedures, birds, etc....He's a great guy...You can also read older threads and pinned threads on here that will give you a ton of info...Attend the NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-Up on Feb 26th at Lake Henshaw...There you'll be around a lot of like minded people that will be more than willing help you...PM me anytime as well...One last thing, they're no dumb questions... ;)

ps...Get some regulations...Read them backwards and forwards.......:blush:

Reactions: MasonP
Mason,

Welcome to SCH...My 1st suggestion is, pick a game bird or animal and concentrate on that...2nd is, buy a shotgun, if you don't have one...Your opportunities are much greater with the shotgun...There's 2 wildlife areas that are within driving distance from you...With San Jacinto W.A. being much closer...Go hang around on a Saturday...Ask Tom (area manger) some questions about the procedures, birds, etc....He's a great guy...You can also read older threads and pinned threads on here that will give you a ton of info...Attend the NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-Up on Feb 26th at Lake Henshaw...There you'll be around a lot of like minded people that will be more than willing help you...PM me anytime as well...One last thing, they're no dumb questions... ;)

ps...Get some regulations...Read them backwards and forwards.......:blush:
Thanks!

I have a few shotguns and a .308 rifle, have my copper ammo already too. Ill go hang around most likely on a monday or tuesday, as I work weekends with the sheriffs department right now. Ill definitely seek out Tom and get the low down. I plan to make a weekend trip out of the NWTF Spring event, so Im excited for that.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Thanks!

I have a few shotguns and a .308 rifle, have my copper ammo already too. Ill go hang around most likely on a monday or tuesday, as I work weekends with the sheriffs department right now. Ill definitely seek out Tom and get the low down. I plan to make a weekend trip out of the NWTF Spring event, so Im excited for that.

San J is open for hunting on Wednesdays & Saturdays...You can go out any other day of the week and tour the facility.

San J is open for hunting on Wednesdays & Saturdays...You can go out any other day of the week and tour the facility.
Wednesday it is then! Thank the man upstairs for a 3/4 schedule. Maybe Ill go check it out on a tuesday, camp nearby (because...why not?) and hit it on a wednesday.

Mason welcome aboard , some hunting still to be had . Don't wait get out there . I live in LA as well close to Pasadena area , PM me perhaps we we could plan one . With the cost of gas ,having a hunting buddy will mean more hunting trips, while keeping cost down .

Mason welcome aboard , some hunting still to be had . Don't wait get out there . I live in LA as well close to Pasadena area , PM me perhaps we we could plan one . With the cost of gas ,having a hunting buddy will mean more hunting trips, while keeping cost down .
Thanks! Ill shoot you a PM. Gas may be killing us, but I am down to drive pretty much anywhere in SoCal for some good experiences.

Reactions: ilovesprig
looks like your head is in the right place, you should do well. You're already making some great contacts.

looks like your head is in the right place, you should do well. You're already making some great contacts.
This is true, I had a good probably 90 minute phone call with Dale tuesday night while sitting in LA traffic. He had some great stories and great tips, Im eager for some days off work to head out and start exploring the mountains

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu