New Mexico Cow Elk back in November

punkur67

Apr 12, 2014
Went to New Mexico for the first time back in November with a friend for the first time. We both tagged our cows on the second morning. I struggled with my Leupold VX-3 not tracking correctly and had to change scopes while I was out there to a cheap Burris fullfield 2 I had as a backup. Weather was 1 degree and shot was just under 300 yards with my 30-06.
20191102_073658.jpg
IMG_5815.jpg

Jaw-Dropping! Major Props man! Bet she was heavy as heck hikin' out of there.

Looking good @punkur67. Well done. New Mexico is a great state for big game. I have been there once...can't wait to go back.

When you send your scope to Leupold keep us in the loop. Would love to hear what they come up with. Generally their scopes are bulletproof.

Reactions: TRICER
Looking good @punkur67. Well done. New Mexico is a great state for big game. I have been there once...can't wait to go back.

When you send your scope to Leupold keep us in the loop. Would love to hear what they come up with. Generally their scopes are bulletproof.
Story on the scope
I took my Remington 700 30-06 to zero and set the CDS before I leave for my hunting trip. I went to the desert and zeroed at 100 to set the knob. I hit steel at 200, 300, and 450 first shot each time. I was stoked on how good the CDS worked. I shot about 20 rounds alternating targets. I was very confident and happy with the new setup.

Two weeks later I went to the indoor 100 yard range to really dial in the zero to be perfect. First shot on the rifle was 4" high. Take a second shot and still 4" high. So I move 12 clicks down to work my way back but impact only moves an inch. I turn it 4 more clicks down and impact 1" low. I continued to chase it up and down for about 30 rounds. The windage was good throughout the session. I decided to come back later cause I was frustrated.

Second trip to the indoor range I brought my lead sled and had the same results as the first outing and chased up and down for about 30 rounds while the windage stayed true. I could get it close to zero but never perfect. I tossed my Burris on and was zeroed in about 5 rounds.

I went home and went through the whole rifle. I completely removed the scope and rings and reinstalled everything. At that point it was time to leave for the hunt. I brought my Burris as a back up. When we got there I started to run in to the same issue. I swapped back to the Burris and took care of business.

I sent the scope in and Leupold replaced the windage and elevation turrets. I still need to get the rifle out and confirm the new turrets fixed the issue

I hate scopes...they can ruin a hunt for sure.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu