New newbie here.

fmcmillan

Feb 13, 2022
First year trying to hunt. Will be solo hunting for the most part. Want to get as much info as I can to be safe and successful

Welcome! This is my first year as well. Everyone here is super knowledgeable and willing to help. What area are you located in?

I’m in north county sd so d16 area and your self?
Ahh cool, lots of good fellas down there. Im up on the border of OC and LA, but am planning a trip down to the 16 1. for the turkey tune up (if I get that day off work, the day after the event if not) on the 26th of this month and 2. just to get some scouting time.

Steve should be around, he is from the 16 and is very knowledgeable.

What sort of gear do you have already and what kind of game are you interested in?

If you want to learn stuff head down to the turkey tune-up at Henshaw! Its called Henshaw because it hosts the fall hen shooting derby! Just kidding, what critters do you want to go after first?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh cool, lots of good fellas down there. Im up on the border of OC and LA, but am planning a trip down to the 16 1. for the turkey tune up (if I get that day off work, the day after the event if not) on the 26th of this month and 2. just to get some scouting time.

What sort of gear do you have already and what kind of game are you interested

What sort of gear do you have already and what kind of game are you interested in?
just the rifle 308. For the most part deer was looking at some outfitters to get on private land for pig but to expensive. I can buy a pig for the prices they want

Im rocking just the 308 right now as well, shotgun is on the list.

Yes the price for private land access/guides is high (especially for deer, slightly cheaper for pigs) but as you will hear often, it is not ALL about the kill and the meat. Most of hunting, as I am discovering, as will you, is about the hunt itself. Being in the woods, searching for sign, learning the sounds and the sights, following sign and tracks, seeing the wildlife and the scenery. The meat is often times just a bonus to go along with the rest of it. Plus, guides put in a lot of work in the off season (no off season for pigs) as well as during your hunt. They are hauling their gear plus extra gear you may need, they have the knowledge of the land and the area and the animal, and most times will field dress and pack out your kill as well. While buying a whole hog from a farm might be cheaper, its nowhere near as fun.

Best of luck, maybe Ill see you out there.

I’m in north county sd so d16 area and your self?

Mc,

The NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-Up is a perfect event for you...Lots of like minded folks and a ton of guys willing to get you going in the "16"...Which just happens to be where you'll find your turkeys too...Hope to see you there...Steve

.nwtf STTU flyer.jpg

I’ll be there
I’ll be there
I’ll be there
Mc,

The NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-Up is a perfect event for you...Lots of like minded folks and a ton of guys willing to get you going in the "16"...Which just happens to be where you'll find your turkeys too...Hope to see you there...Steve

.View attachment 53351
Can i go just to check it out. Don’t have a shotgun. But sound like a good way to get some knowledge

Can i go just to check it out. Don’t have a shotgun. But sound like a good way to get some knowledge

Yes, you can...It will cost you $10.00 (that gives you a chance at a gun & hunts)...If you get drawn, let me know...I can guide/mentor you and have plenty of gear.

Do you have a hunting license or have you taken your hunter safety class?

Yes, you can...It will cost you $10.00 (that gives you a chance at a gun & hunts)...If you get drawn, let me know...I can guide/mentor you and have plenty of gear.

Do you have a hunting license or have you taken your hunter safety class?
Hunters safety done. No license yet

I don’t think I have the proper set up. I have a pump shotgun with a 18” barrel maverick 88

The gun itself has little to do with what can & won't kill a turkey...It's the choke (& I think your gun takes chokes), and the shells you're shooting...Most turkey guns come with shorter barrels.

ps...I do believe your Maverick takes Mossberg choke tubes...I just happen to have a Mossy turkey choke... :blush:

What size choke do you recommend me getting. I’ll get my license today also what tag do I get? Upland bird?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu