new rifle for my wife

Gspman

Dec 2, 2014
North LA county
hey guys, I know this may open up a debate but I've got to ask any way. I'm in the market for a new hog/deer bolt rifle for my wife. she is very recoil sensitive.

she started off hunting birds with a 20G auto but this year she finally upgraded to a 12G auto and she is very happy with it, thanks Steve (gave her way more confidence). she shoots 3 gun fun shoots with a 223 AR, the 12G franchi and a springfield xd45. she has come a long way in the last few years. she has killed a few hogs in the 200lb range as well as sheep in texas with the 223 AR at close and fast range. 50yards or so.
Ive killed hogs with all my rifles 223, 243, 45-70, 300savage, 30-30, 12G slug. I hunt deer and hogs almost exclusively now with my 243 AR10. Very heavy but no recoil at all. but its waaay to big (heavy and bulky) for her.

she has been working on her long range shooting and can shoot quarters at 200 yards with the 223. she is now more accurate and can shoot further then the 223 will kill effectively.

I know the 243 in a bolt gun has little recoil. I know it will work for her but is there anything bigger (better long range accuracy) that is also light on recoil? 25-06, 270? or ??? i do reload so that is not a problem. Im also not looking to spend huge amounts of money.

thanks all

Last edited:
Doug,

I'm not really a rifle guy, but Stefanie's .243 is deadly....She does shoot deer that are much more than 100 yds though.....Jacob shoots the same gun, Savage Axis ll in .270.....His gun is spot on at deer at 200+.....The gun is reasonably priced, green ammo is readily available, and the recoil isn't too bad, especially in the copper stuff......2 cents

ps......I do believe the Ruger American is a slight step.....Priced close to the Savage I think.

thanks,
ive had my eye on the savage for some time. I think that's the route I'm headed towards. Do you know how much more the 270 recoils then the 243?

Shot a 25-06 at pigs an did well with it using sturdy bullets and good placement for many years on two to three hundred pounders, 270 works good too from what I have seen. That's where I would start for recoil sensitive folks.

Yea NBK. Bought my wife a .260 Sako light weight because it fit her better after she shot her first one with a 25-06 700. Didn't see much difference between the two, both bucks fell down straight away.

thanks,
ive had my eye on the savage for some time. I think that's the route I'm headed towards. Do you know how much more the 270 recoils then the 243?

A 130gr .270 is roughly double the recoil of a 100gr .243 round for the same rifle weight. Your wife will be more confident with the .243, just my 2 cents. My wife shoots 12gauges at birds, but flinches with my .270.

.260 or 7mm-08 (Splitting hairs there..)

My daughter has the 7mm-08 and really likes it.

Gspman, I don't think you live to far from me. If you want we could meet up and I'll let you shoot my 7-08, so you can feel the recoil for yourself.

Both the lady and I have savage rifles. She loves her .308. She really wants a Weatherby Camilla now.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu