New Scope -Prepping for rifle/deer season 2

DanSanDiego

Venison for Thanksgiving 2016
Sep 18, 2014
Haven't sighted it in yet. But I'm very excited at the brightness and clarity.
Basic VX-1 3-9x40. But a big step up for me :)

That's a nice scope Dan. What are you mounting it on? Have you chosen rings and bases yet?

I have two.
One mounted, and one in the box.
They are the QDMA Versions. I picked up at Bass Pro on Black Friday.
very happy with them.

Great bread & Butter scope for sure. What is it getting mounted on?

Thanks!
Bases are Weaver 402M (48429) and they are legit. Rings I did cheap out on. Those are aluminum. I'm hoping that the kick of a .243 won't be too powerful for the rings and that they will hold zero.
The full rig is a Savage Axis 243 (I went with the 243 because I think Deer will be the largest game I hunt and I think I will do some coyote hunting).
My binos are 10x50 Bushnell Permafocus, although Im looking at Leupold BX2s.

I had a chance to get out to the range today in preparation for deer season. I've got the Leupold VX-1 mounted. This was to be the sighting in. I put 40 rounds through the 243 (1 round didn't chamber well so I put it in the misfire bin).
That is 60 rounds in preparation for deer season. Looking forward to Oct 24th!
Good luck to all!!

Dang Dan,

60 rounds?........I'm sure you're glad it wasn't a 300 mag........ :D

My daughter's Savage .243 w/cheapy Bushnell scope got shot maybe 10 times right out of the box.......Then 1 shot at her buck......... ;)

I'd say you're ready........ 8)

Dan, I assume you were breaking it in with frequent cleaning and the barrel never got over-heated? Controversial as to whether break-in is needed, but what I take away from all the conversations is that an incorrectly done break-in can be worse than no break-in.

Thanks. I am definitely a sponge for learning. The 60 rounds was a total. 39 rounds yesterday (1 round would not chamber well and after two attempts I decided it wasn't worth the risk, so I put it in the misfire bucket). 20 rounds several weeks ago on my first sight-in attempt when I had a Simmons 8-point scope mounted (nothing wrong with that scope I just needed to blame my erratic pattern on something in order to justify getting a new scope).
But in terms of overheating the barrel, it did get warm yesterday with the 39 rounds in 90 min at the indoor 100 yr range (Poway). I haven't cleaned the Savage Axis yet. I'm prepared to do that but I'd like to keep things exactly as they are until after deer season (1 or 2 more rounds at most). Then I'll clean it and have it ready for next year's preparations.

I do think that I'm ready this year. A lot different from my Benelli Nova with slugs last year (but I do wish they would allow shotguns with slugs for muzzle loader season - different topic).

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu