New to Bow Hunting...

OutdoorsManny28

Jun 6, 2021
Hey everyone,

Like it says, I'm new to bow hunting (hunting in general). I've tightened up my groups to within a softball size at 30 yds. I feel somewhat confident. I've never been out before. Don't know where to go, etiquette, etc.. I also don't know or have anyone to go with, I'd be going alone. Any USEFUL information would be great to have, other than the "you need a license, hunter's ed, etc". Thanks in advance. Can't afford a guide, way too expensive.

OM 28,

Welcome to SCH....Lots to learn, but you can start by starting the area you plan on hunting (San Diego Co.?)....You can ask more specific questions as well....Ask away and knowing what area will help folks help you.

Reactions: dhntr48 and sportyg
Hey Manny. If you don't know where to go I highly recommend onXmaps.. and where are you from buddy? Feel free to pm me

Hi Manny what zone are you hunting , Hunt early season , Deer will be where you think they may be . After noon hunts , Deer will show up from 3 to 4 pm ,get there before 2 PM hunt till dark . I blew lots of after work hunts , showing up too late in the after noon only to drive deer out of the area . Lots of Deer trails cross clear cuts or fire breaks . Look for a well used trail . Lots of mountain saddles make great spots for a stand , I found that they will cross in the low spot between 9 am and 10 am coming from feed and water on the way to a bedding area . Water, very dry this year , lots of dear will be close to water , trails will be heavy leading out of these areas . Any recent burn area will harbor many deer close by , the bigger the burn area the more Game will use that area . Study the Deer tracks ,, If you see a Deer and he runs off , go look at his tracks , they will be fresh as could be , look at them the next day , then one week later , then two weeks later . You will see the change in the track over time , being better able to judge the age of the track .. Welcome aboard and keep us posted .

have your binoculars on your chest if you can and don't use your scope as binoculars.. I've always had better luck in November during rifle season too on the contrary to dhtnr48's early season comment.. sorry man well I mean I'll become a better bow hunter with experience

Hey everyone,

Like it says, I'm new to bow hunting (hunting in general). I've tightened up my groups to within a softball size at 30 yds. I feel somewhat confident. I've never been out before. Don't know where to go, etiquette, etc.. I also don't know or have anyone to go with, I'd be going alone. Any USEFUL information would be great to have, other than the "you need a license, hunter's ed, etc". Thanks in advance. Can't afford a guide, way too expensive.
Loaded question.. first read the regs and figure out what lands are legal (study paper maps and buy OnX app to learn NF, BLM, and CDFW lands). Then get boots on the ground and start scouting. Once you find an area with a heavy amount of tracks and scat, come back at dawn or dusk and get on the tallest ridge nearby and glass the area until you find deer. Set cameras to see what's walking when you're not around and pattern them if you can. Then once you know the area has deer, then you gotta find a shooter and be able to stalk it within bow range (or set a stand) which is usually within 50 yards, without busting it. Tough shit.. that's why I usually rifle hunt lol.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu