New to hunting CA turkeys. Any help would be appreciated!!

TJH223

May 5, 2021
Hi, I’m a junior hunter (15) and I am very new to hunting turkeys in this area although I have lived here my whole life (I’ve only Turkey hunted in Florida). This season was my first, and I tried a few public land spots that I researched and believed would hold turkeys (San Felipe Wildlife Area Cleveland National Forest land by Palomar, Love Valley), but did not see or hear any. I usually use an owl hooter (morning) and a crow call (daytime) for locators and a box and glass slate call. I have done some online scouting with onX hunt, but I have no experience with hunting Rio Grande turkeys and I am accustomed to pursuing Osceolas in deep tree cover so I am unsure if I am looking for the right terrain. If anyone can help tell me if I am doing things right or if not, point me in the right direction that would be very much appreciated! Thank y’all in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TJ,

Welcome to SCH...A little late this season, although there's still 10 days left...Send me a PM and we'll talk turkey

ps...You should attend the NWTF JAKES event June 26th...Sign up is June 1st.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
Welcome to sch TJ!!
Check sandiegoturkey.com, our NWTF chapter here in San Diego meet every month but November and December on the 4th Tuesday.
Come to our meetings and meet friendly people that will, without a doubt, help you.

Reactions: DoubleTrouble
Welcome to sch TJ!!
Check sandiegoturkey.com, our NWTF chapter here in San Diego meet every month but November and December on the 4th Tuesday.
Come to our meetings and meet friendly people that will, without a doubt, help you.

Ok thank you, I will definitely attend the meeting this month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu