New to Hunting live in Tustin

ForestNinja

Oct 14, 2020
Hi everyone, I have been very interested in learning how to hunt for a few months now. Been doing a ton of internet research and have my hunting license, but do not know where to start. Just bought a pair of maven 10x42 binoculars for $260 brand new and, and picking up a rifle this weekend. Want to give D15 a shot but will most likely be scouting for a while before actually taking anything. Nobody I know is an experienced hunter, and would like to make some friends here to scout and so forth.

Forest,

Welcome to SCH...Personally, I would invest in a shotgun and reach out to the upland crowd...Lots of opportunities in Socal and it gets your feet wet in the hunting world...12 gauge, 3" capable, and the best your can afford...In the next few weeks, everything for the most part, will be open to hunt...Quail, dove, pheasant, rabbits, and waterfowl...Put in for the waterfowl draws ay Wister & San Jacinto...Trust me, you'll have plenty of new "best friends", if you get drawn...lol

Good luck in the "15"

Thanks a lot for the advice! Getting overwhelmed reading all the regs...spent a good amount already, I might go for a cheaper shotgun like a mossberg 500/590 or Remington 870, but I will be getting one for sure.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Thanks a lot for the advice! Getting overwhelmed reading all the regs...spent a good amount already, I might go for a cheaper shotgun like a mossberg 500/590 or Remington 870, but I will be getting one for sure.

Nothing wrong with either of those guns...If something is confusing in the regs, throw out a question...Lots of knowledgeable guys here on the site...Nothing worse than getting a fat fine, when you 1st start out.

Reactions: ForestNinja
Welcome neighbor... I'm in the OC also. I'm like you, don't know any hunters in my circles. I drew a deer hunt in Santa Barbara County for this weeknd, but when I get back we can chat and see it where it goes. I got tags for D11, D13, D14 and D15. I've been hunting here in SoCal the last 3 years with no luck, but I've seen lots of does, and no bucks during the season though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Welcome neighbor... I'm in the OC also. I'm like you, don't know any hunters in my circles. I drew a deer hunt in Santa Barbara County for this weeknd, but when I get back we can chat and see it where it goes. I got tags for D11, D13, D14 and D15. I've been hunting here in SoCal the last 3 years with no luck, but I've seen lots of does, and no bucks during the season though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That would be awesome. Good luck this weekend. I actually quit my desk job before all this crazy stuff happened so I’m pretty flexible. Main source of income is amazon sales, so if anyone wants any pointers with an amazon side hustle, I can help anyone willing to learn too.

Welcome - also new hunter here. Harvested a nice boar in Paso earlier this year and currently hunting d15. Interested in upland game as well. Lots of knowledge here - everyone has been great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: raybasster
Hi everyone, I have been very interested in learning how to hunt for a few months now. Been doing a ton of internet research and have my hunting license, but do not know where to start. Just bought a pair of maven 10x42 binoculars for $260 brand new and, and picking up a rifle this weekend. Want to give D15 a shot but will most likely be scouting for a while before actually taking anything. Nobody I know is an experienced hunter, and would like to make some friends here to scout and so forth.
Welcome. You're on the right track picking up some glass. Get yourself a shotgun as Steve said.. chasing upland critters is a fun way to get started and you'll hopefully find deer along the way.

I’d go for the Mossberg over the Remington. Remingtons quality control has been lacking for a while. Personally, I’d save up a few more bucks and get a Benelli Nova or for a little more, a super Nova.

P.S. the Mossberg 500 is a fine gun, but they get a little finicky when they get dirty.

0792035956268a99bf1da0f67cea2628.jpg

[mention]Aeon [/mention] here you go! Mighty tasty too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome, congrats on the pig. Where did you take it? We went out in July and my buddy and I each took a pig North East of Paso Robles. Great fun.

I’m about 15 minutes from Tustin. Let me know if you have any questions. Like the guys said, start with the upland game and waterfowl. Head out to Rhagges or Prado, talk to people, shoot some clay pigeons. I put in for every day possible at Wister, Jacinto, Mendota, and Los Banos. I was lucky and got a couple pigs up in Paso a couple weeks ago.

start to put in and build preference points in CA.

AZ is a great option for javelina, quail, deer. Not a bad drive either.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu