New to Hunting. Small game draws?

PewPew252

Aug 29, 2020
Hello! I'm looking at the different options on DFW website and it's quite confusing. Do I need to win a draw to hunt somewhere with actual birds?(quail, turkey, duck) Is the type A or type B pass a draw too? Which should I get, or do I need either? Sorry for all the questions.

Last edited:
For quail you don’t need to win a draw, you just have to scout public lands to find where they’re at. For ducks you can try to draw a blind on one of hunt days at the local wildlife areas such as Wister and San Jacinto, but if you don’t draw you can still try to go out in the sweatline. The hunters in the sweatline try to get the blinds that are left over because some reservation holders didn’t show up. For Wister and San Jacinto you’ll need a type A pass. You can hunt ducks in the Owens Valley without entering a drawing, but you should scout beforehand.

Reactions: PewPew252
For quail you don’t need to win a draw, you just have to scout public lands to find where they’re at. For ducks you can try to draw a blind on one of hunt days at the local wildlife areas such as Wister and San Jacinto, but if you don’t draw you can still try to go out in the sweatline. The hunters in the sweatline try to get the blinds that are left over because some reservation holders didn’t show up. For Wister and San Jacinto you’ll need a type A pass. You can hunt ducks in the Owens Valley without entering a drawing, but you should scout beforehand.

Great thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

Reactions: Hunter527
PP252,

Welcome to SCH....There's quail just about everywhere in California, where there's public land (CNF, BLM, and WA's)...No charge or draw.

Chukar start at about Victorville north to the Sierra's...Duck hunting can be done on our 2 wildlife areas in SoCal, plus the numerous refuges in NoCal and central valley (fee)...The Salton Sea is open (free) and Lake Henshaw offers a waterfowling opportunity ($50.00 per day)...Of course, jump shooting has no cost.

Turkey hunting is mostly on the Cleveland NF here in SoCal...The National Wild Turkey Federation has a Spring Turkey Tune-Up at Lake Sutherland that offers hunts on the City of San Diego property...It is a drawn with a $20.00 fee, if draw...$10.00 to enter draw and tune-up.

Good luck this fall.

Last edited:
PP252,

Welcome to SCH....There's quail just about everywhere in California, where there's public land (CNF, BLM, and WA's)...No charge or draw.

Chukar start at about Victorville north to the Sierra's...Duck hunting can be done on our 2 wildlife areas in SoCal, plus the numerous refuges in NoCal and central valley (fee)...The Salton Sea is open (free) and Lake Henshaw offers a waterfowling opportunity ($50.00 per day)...Of course, jump shooting has no cost.

Turkey hunting is mostly on the Cleveland NF here in SoCal...The National Wild Turkey Federation has a Spring Turkey Tune-Up at Lake Sutherland that offers hunts on the City of San Diego property...It is a drawn with a $20.00 fee, if draw...$10.00 to enter draw and tune-up.

Good luck this fall.

Great! Thanks for all the info! I look forward to season when everyone posts GPS coordinates of their best spots! (Just Kidding)

• Haha
Reactions: ilovesprig
Ca. upland game stamp about $8.00 along with your license will allow you to hunt quail, dove, snipe, rabbit and pheasant all you need to do is find them.

Duck, you will need a license, ca. duck stamp and fed. duck stamp. If you want to hunt a ca. duck/wildlife refuge then you will need a type A or B PASS it depends on the area. But you can freelance duck you will just need to scout out an area. Most refuge work on the reservation system but you can also try what is called the sweat line where you get a number and when you number is called you pick what is left over from reservations that did not show up on that hunt day.

That said, the reservation system is a whole different ball of wax and i type to damn slow. PM your # and i will be happy to walk you thru that mess.

Good luck, have fun, be careful!!!

Reactions: oscar and PewPew252
Ca. upland game stamp about $8.00 along with your license will allow you to hunt quail, dove, snipe, rabbit and pheasant all you need to do is find them.

Duck, you will need a license, ca. duck stamp and fed. duck stamp. If you want to hunt a ca. duck/wildlife refuge then you will need a type A or B PASS it depends on the area. But you can freelance duck you will just need to scout out an area. Most refuge work on the reservation system but you can also try what is called the sweat line where you get a number and when you number is called you pick what is left over from reservations that did not show up on that hunt day.

That said, the reservation system is a whole different ball of wax and i type to damn slow. PM your # and i will be happy to walk you thru that mess.

Good luck, have fun, be careful!!!

Great thanks for all the info! PM sent

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu