New to so cal

Robert2102

Mar 22, 2015
Greetings everyone, I'm new to Southern California. I have turkey hunted only a few times in Central Ca and was looking for a general area around Orange County that I could take my son. Online it looks like San Diego Co is the best location for public land, is there any place closer?

I am too new to the OC hunting wise. I have heard Turkeys sign from Trubico canyon all the way down to the Mexican boarder. The birds are showing up everywhere. I don't think the OC has a very good established setting yet. There are LOTS of Mt Lions in OC CNF I would not be surprised if some turkeys are killed here in the OC in the next couple of years.
Lots of places to hunt in public land here in the south land Even in Los Angeles county they are getting good bird populations. Good luck Keep looking at this board. 99% up here are just amazing to help you get kills.

Robert,

Welcome to SCH........To my knowledge, there are no turkeys in the OC......In fact, about the only wild turkeys in So Cal are in San Diego Co. (few on the border of Riverside Co.).....Going north you have Kern and Ventura Co.'s as the closest......San Bernardino Co. had birds planted in the early 1990's and they just never took hold like San Diego Co.

Well then there is this in the OC in a very remote and hard to get to spot in the CNF
http://tinyurl.com/jw5n63u
And just the other day I heard of some turkeys being around Lake Elsinore

Who knew right!

surfcity said:
Well then there is this in the OC in a very remote and hard to get to spot in the CNF

Who knew right!

Lol! That's funny! if you want to get technical, there's Turkey in Elsinore, Menifee, Wildomar, Perris, and Winchester as well. Just like any other cities that have "farms" or chicken ranches. My hunting buddy and I got rushed by a dude with a revolver for "stopping to look while wearing camo". He thought we were going to shoot, grab, and bail.

8SteelTown said:
surfcity said:

Who knew right!

Lol! That's funny! if you want to get technical, there's Turkey in Elsinore, Menifee, Wildomar, Perris, and Winchester as well. Just like any other cities that have "farms" or chicken ranches. My hunting buddy and I got rushed by a dude with a revolver for "stopping to look while wearing camo". He thought we were going to shoot, grab, and bail.
I'm sure he's seen his share of poaching if he's got turkeys. Glad he didn't shoot first.

surfcity said:

Who knew right!

Interesting...6 jakes...I just know no birds were transplanted by DFG into those areas.....Could've they come from San Diego Co?....I guess, about a 100 miles away......I know I got reports of birds on Camp Pendleton & the Santa Rosa Plateau.

2001 there was a report written by the Godfather of SoCal turkeys. They are mentioned in the report trying to establish in Southern OC. 14yrs ago! Run Fast Fly and are very smart. Why not in the OC

Seeing that theres a good amount of birds in the Temecula area, I'm sure all those birds on the north side of Palomar dispersed to other areas. I remember Massie talked at one of the Turkey tune ups on eagle peak ranch about a radio collard hen that traveled from Eagle Peak ranch all the way to an area right above noble canyon and nested there. There was a nice tom taken in Kitchen Creek in 1996 so those birds travel a good amount.

Not saying there couldn't be turkeys in OC......Just never heard of any......I know there were turkeys at the Santa Rosa Plateau (Riverside Co.)......Which technically isn't that far from the southern border of the OC.

I was tottaly wrong about Mr Massie and orange county. There is a map that from 2003 that has turkey and potential turkey spots. The article or paper I was thinking about does not mention the OC at all...
I have turkey brain so bad...Sorry for any confusion :-[

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu