New to the area and and the sport

Garc64

Oct 26, 2019
Hey guys, I just recently got stationed in the area and decided to try out some hunting. Apparently I missed out on some of the best whitetail deer hunting growing up in Iowa but it's never to late to start. I just recently purchased a Ruger American and a viper HS 4-16x44. Any recommendations on where to start and books to read. I'd love to eventually tag along with someone to get some guidance and mentorship.

There are a handful of podcasts you can listen to like MeatEater, wired to hunt and theres a local one called Ridge2Ridge outdoors. Also look into "The complete guide to hunting, butchering and cooking wild game" Vol. 1 & 2. Pretty informative books with lots of pictures. Also you found this site so you are in the right place. Tons of good info on here. Oh and Thank you for your service.

Welcome to the form and thank you for your service! You said "stationed here" so if you are active duty Camp Pendelton has a ton of opportunities for hunting. You may still get a chance with an AO tag. PM me for more info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Garc64
Watching the MeatEater show and listening to there podcast is what
There are a handful of podcasts you can listen to like MeatEater, wired to hunt and theres a local one called Ridge2Ridge outdoors. Also look into "The complete guide to hunting, butchering and cooking wild game" Vol. 1 & 2. Pretty informative books with lots of pictures. Also you found this site so you are in the right place. Tons of good info on here. Oh and Thank you for your service.

Watching the MeatEater show and listening to their podcast is what compelled me to get into hunting. I will definitely look into those other books though!

Last edited:
So I will probably wait for next year's mule season. I have decided to start getting things together for the spring turkey season. What are some essentials you guys recommend for a one to three-day hunt in SoCal?

Reactions: D_unit760
So I will probably wait for next year's mule season. I have decided to start getting things together for the spring turkey season. What are some essentials you guys recommend for a one to three-day hunt in SoCal?
Welcome. Someone just asked this question the other day so I'd check that thread also... but without knowing what all you want to hunt, the most important items I'd say are boots and glass.

Reactions: D_unit760
I guess I should have specified for a turkey hunt in socal haha.

The NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-up is Feb. 22, 2020 at Lake Sutherland...It's a must do for every new turkey hunter...On the spot calling demonstrations, how to hunt, what gear you need, and a place to shoot at turkey targets...Really fun day overall too.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu